Home Chat General Chat

Triathlon ruins your life..

It leaves you knackered, makes your missus angry, means you spend less time with the kids, is the first thing on your mind when you wake up, stops you from going to sleep (sometimes), costs you a fortune..and all for what?
Why the hell do we do it?

Comments

• MowfMowf Posts: 272
    So that I can bore the socks off of my work mates with tales of awesome run splits, fast transitions etc.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    So I can look down from the upper floor of the food court at Meadowhall on all the fat b####s below who look like walruses on an ice pack and think 'where is a killer whale when you need one?'
  • So I can look down from the upper floor of the food court at Meadowhall on all the fat b####s below who look like walruses on an ice pack and think 'where is a killer whale when you need one?'
    What a great statement
  • So I can look down from the upper floor of the food court at Meadowhall on all the fat b####s below who look like walruses on an ice pack and think 'where is a killer whale when you need one?'
    Agreed great statement
  • just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    So that we can comfort ourselves with the thought that at 4.30 am at the start of our first session of the day 30 million Brits are still asleep, heading towards a heart attack or another ailment while we work our butt off?!
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    Pah! Cricket and rugby ruined mine WAY before this new fangled triathlon thing came along!

though the first two were good training for the third for the wife ;-)

didds
  • vetboyvetboy Posts: 21
    12 months preparing for an Ironman - that's over 1 month per hour racing. Now covered in cuts and grazes so constantly hurting. Big toe-nail about to fall off. Girlfriend cranky because she hasn't seen much of me for months.....

Dropped 12kg, fitter at 32 than I was at 20 (most people my age are just starting to fatten up, or so it seems), met heaps of new mates after moving to new town, seeing people who clearly ate all the pies and knowing I'm never going to be like that.

Ruined my life? Nah. Love it!

What other sport can you do where you put in that much work and effort with absolutely no intention of even trying to win the event (well, for most of us average triathletes taht's the case).
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    At least someone does it for reasons other than feeling smug and pouring scorn on fat folk!
    Jac - I'll introduce a term to you 'tongue in cheek'
    Yeah, I hear a lot of people use that phrase retrospectively.
    Lighten up Jac - do you think I or anyone else here does all the training just so we can be smug with ourselves and to prove a point over obese people? I think you are probably thinking of the Tri247 forum.

You started the thread, what did you expect a philosophical discourse? Come on this the 220 forum, you are going to get a mix of tongue in cheek and sobre, considered replies.

If you want the straight answer I started triathlon as a promise to my Dad shortly before he died. And I was a tubby myself, shed 3 stone, still about 5lbs to go, resting heart rate 48, great sense of achievement etc etc. I am not going to get involved in personal attacks so if I have ruffled your or anyone elses feathers I aoplogise but do take replies to these sort of threads with a pinch of salt.
    Fully lightened up tubs!
    Glad to hear it - wish I was - the last couple of pounds is just sittting on my waist - damn this getting old stuff