Home Chat General Chat

Why are SPD bolts so crap?

Does anyone else have issues with SPD bolts coming loose all the bleeding time? I've been out on my MTB this morning in the snow, having a great time, and would have stayed out for longer had the bolt in the cleat not started to come loose. Stupidly, I didn't have any hex keys to tighten it while out.

I had the same problem with SPDs on my road bike when I did the C2C earlier this year. Ended up having to leave my shoe clipped into the pedal after losing a bolt. Rubbish. Now I have Look on my road bike, and have stuck the SPDs on my new MTB. But even though I got some longer bolts, thinking they would hold the cleats in properly, they've obviously worked loose again.

Anyone got any tips?

Comments

• jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    A low strength threadlocking adhesive such as loctite 221 or 222 should solve the problem. It has enough strength to hold the bolt in, but not so strong you can't undo it with an allen key when needed.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Jibby has hit the nail on the head. Be careful of the strenght you use. They come in different colours and can be bought at any car parts retailer. I wouldnt recommend the wurth stuff though.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Try what has been said above - threadlock is good stuff. Strange you say they come loose though, I have been using SPD MTB shoes on my road bike since last feb and not had a bolt loose yet with over 2,500 miles.
  • Me too. Been using SPD's and Look pedals for 15+ years, and never had one come loose. Even need to use WD40 to loosen them when I change cleats. You might need to do them up a little bit tighter, but not too tight, or they may shear off.