Home Chat General Chat

torque wrench

can anybody recommend a decent torque wrench that goes down to 3nm and isn't going to cost the earth. the ones i have seen either start at 6 newtons or are very, very expensive...

thanks

Comments

• built a bike last year ,
    found the same problem
    the only place i could find a small torque wrench was on e.bay & as you say cost the earth,
    so didnt bother with it .
    if you need it to build a bike i got around it by tightening it to what i thought was safe & when i'd finished i took the bike to my l.b.s. for a check over, also got them to index the gears correctly as this was the only tricky part of it.
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    I've seen a 1-4 Nm torque screwdriver in an online shop for £25 (search for torque screwdriver on google shopping). You can also get the Park tools TW1, beam type torque wrench for £45, which I beleive has a scale that low, although I have never used one.
  • sldargsldarg Posts: 7
    Hi - I had the same dilemma recently.. Ritchey produce a Torque key (creatively called Torqkey) pre set to 5nm, with an M4 allen key bit, for ~£10.. Wiggle sell them. Doesn't do every job, but covers a few bases..
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Have you searched the net for a 1/4 drive torque wrench? They are the ones with the lowest settings at a reasonable price. I am from an automive back ground so have uesd many different types of torque wrench. it has to be said the more you spend the the more acurate they are and 3 NM is a tiny amount of torque.