Home Chat General Chat

Am I biting off too much?

2»

Comments

• Okay, you've shamed me into it..

My story, in brief. I've cycled and time trialled (slowly) for the last 4 years following a 25 year rest!
    Last year one of my club coaches took me under his wing, but in April last year he was tragically killed on a railway crossing and I lost all enthusiasm for competitive cycling.
    I continued to potter around though, and then, in the summer, I broke my beloved Cervelo R3 frame. Luckily the Insurance paid out, and, having toyed with the idea of triathlon, and as I TT anyway, I plumped for an Argon 18 E112 ( ). I entered, and completed, the Cheshire Super Sprint in September. Apart from a 6 minute T1, :roll: , I was reasonably happy, considering I did NO swim and NO run training before hand. I actually did the fastest bike ride for my age group (I'm 51), but the 6 minutes in T1 sort of disguised the fact..

I joined Manchester Tri, and planned to learn front crawl, and to run, over the winter, and to get to grips with my new bike and aero bars.
    Then came a new job, working away from home 2 or 3 days a week from Mid Dec to the end of Feb. Result - I'm now rubbish at swimming, running AND cycling
    I've got out of the habit of training, and seem to find any old excuse not to go out running, or swimming. Still riding a bit but not nearly enough.

Anyway, this thread had re inspired me, and I have just entered the Cheshire Sprint on 23rd May, so I had better get some training done PDQ! . I'll have to look through my many Tri magazines and find a training plan for the next 7 weeks. I know though that, if the worst comes to the worst, I can always swim breast stroke, and if I have to walk half the run, then so be it. I know I will finish though, just like I finished the Super Sprint last year. And that's what matters eh?
  • Race1Race1 Posts: 58
    May 2010 Update

Swim. Can swim 1km now non stop. Circa 20mins or so. So now I'm trying to work on my technique. I'm following the T.I system and I seem to be more relaxed after the swim.

Bike. I bought a TT bike. Absolutely no need for my level or ability. But I wanted it. So much faster than my trusty MTB. Riding on the aeros is not difficult after the first couple of rides. I've even got used to wearing SPD shoes again. Though I have to say these "SL" pedals can be more grief than my old double sided MTB Spds. 11K in roughly 23mins. Drinking from the bottle is a little awkward, as I'm used to old fashioned bottles and cages. Not leaning forward to drink.

Run. Can do 5K regularly now. Fastest of 27something but most are 29something mins. I always feel the most tired after the running though.

Nutrition. Went to Sigma Sport and bought a selection of gels, energy drink powder and bars. Not sure they do anything for me. But I guess the placebo effect is working. Maybe I'm not training long enough or fast enough?

Future areas to sort out!
    i) Need to do more bike mileage.
    ii) Recently, my times are getting slower! I feel a bit more tired generally. But for the last 8 weeks or so I've been doing "something" every day and feeling OK. Last sunday I did nothing (rest day) and I feel worse for it. I guess I'm weird as every training plan I've loooked at says I should have a rest day once a week.
    iii) When I've trained I feel hungry and find myself snacking on crisps and biscuits between my generally healthy main meals. More self control required! I haven't had any alcohol for months though, So I feel moderately happy with myself.
    iv) When I get a wetsuit, I will need to do some open water swimming. Not desperate just yet. But if anyone can reccommend somewhere in South London, that would be helpful. Was going to go to Tooting Lido as that's unheated. But part of me wonders if actual reservoirs would be better as I need to become more accustomed to the mud and murk.

Cheers for reading
  • alisdairkralisdairkr Posts: 5
    Feeling bad the day after a rest day is not that unusual. It is recommended not to rest the day before a race, but have a gentle recovery ride instead, having rested a day or so earlier.
    Pre Race update.

So 6 months after I signed up. I'm a week from my first race. Got my numbers pack. Got all the equipment I'm going to need for the event. Got my Co2 canisters and wetsuit and tri suit and race belt and chip holder thingy. Decided NOT to spunk £150 on another pair of Oakleys mind

I know I can do the distances required. My training has been going well aside from a small bout of unexplainable "runners knee" which I'm trying to work through. (I haven't' changed anything ) I've swum in open water for the first time and will admit the blindness was un-nerving at first. Though mass starts are my concern now. So expect to see me swimming 1/2 a mile further round the buoys just to avoid it. The brick sessions have been helpful in trying to make me pace myself. Whether I can resist the temptation to overtake people on the day I suspect not. Certainly can't when out riding and see another rider up ahead.

On that note. I understand the idea is to get round and have fun. But the competative bugger in me means I have a target time of 1h30 Aparently London is quite flat/fast. We'll see if that's optimistic or not

Thanks to all the people that have given me advice over the last 6 months. I've learnt so much.
    Conclusion to my little journey.

Got to Excel very early (like 5 hours) put bike in Transition. Had a wander round. Ate some Pasta. Took the rest of my stuff to Transition. Put on my wetsuit, did some stretching, had a gel and 20 mins later I'm floating on the startline.

Swim - I knew it wasn't called the washing machine for no reason. And so it came to be, it was not the most fun for the first 200m to the turning buoy. But on the back straight it thinned out a bit and I was able to get into a rhythm. Swum a bit further than needed as I didn't sight the last buoy by the pontoon until quite late. Wobbly legs getting out. And apologies to anyone hearing my language! Wasn't last either. Apparently in the first 1/3 to middle

T1- Took AGEs Had a Gel.

Bike. No problems there. Romped round overtaking so many people. Was feeling quite smug. I think maybe 2-3 people passed me. And I must have overtaken 50-75ish over the 2 laps. (in fairness I have no idea what wave these people were in) Got near the end of the 2nd lap and did the "feet out of shoes" thing (which I have practiced once!) then as we turned we had to go up a little ramp so I'd done it too soon.

T2 - Much faster, though I could have done without the next guy along using my stuff as a wheel chock! Had another Gel

Run - Tried to pace myself. Got overtaken a fair bit (payback I guess ) My second lap was faster than my first. Had a gel on the course from the Maxifuel people. Took on water at every point. Then sprinted the last 100m or so.

Crossed the line at 1h30m51 But for whatever reason the official timing has me at 1h31m49. Even when I add up all my laps and Tran times from their website it's still 1h30m51 so dunno what's happened there. 488 out of 1360ish finishers. So I'm very pleased with that. My knee is hurting quite badly now. And one of my toenails is trying to come off!

Holy crap I'm a Triathlete now! I fancy Olympic distance next year.
  • MrTimMrTim Posts: 13
    Race1 wrote:

Crossed the line at 1h30m51 But for whatever reason the official timing has me at 1h31m49. Even when I add up all my laps and Tran times from their website it's still 1h30m51 so dunno what's happened there.
    Hmm, that's odd. Just added up my times, and the total they've given me is 2 seconds quicker than the sum of the parts! Not that I'm complaining, as their under counting has gained me two places!
  • Well done Race1, and a very good race report. Sounds like you enjoyed the experience. Onwards and upwards eh?
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Race1 wrote:
    Holy crap I'm a Triathlete now! I fancy Olympic distance next year.
    Careful now, that's how it starts. Did a Sprint in April 2009, stepped up to OD on the spur of the moment, entered the morning of the race in June 2009, upped it again in August 2009 to half ironman, and you guessed it, nowhere to go in 2010 but ironman. Finished that 10 days ago, so now where?
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Congratulations, from no training to where you are in 6 months is great. keep going and keep getting better...well so the theory goes anyway