Home Chat General Chat

the grumpy ol' triathlete's (+wannabe's) corner

2»

Comments

• sportevesporteve Posts: 141
    i dont think the breastroke swimming style will have the same meaning for me ever again ...now i have this image in my head of people stroking breasts and i dont even know if they are male of female or who's breasts they are stroking...
    i am traumatised for ever ...
    britspin don't play innocent, you know you started it!
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    People who have seen you swimming a few lengths and wait for you at the end of the lane, to try and prove they are faster than you, although they only do 50M then rest for 5 mins!!

I usually find the best tactic is to just chuck in a real fast 25, if they actually have some speed and endurance then a 1 min 20, 100 usually see's them retreat fairly quickly!!!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Well I am hurt, I contribute but a small comment & I am blamed for all societies ills.

Iam off to sulk.....& stroke....*

*Swim training....do behave.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    While Britspin takes his cold shower...

... Not being 25 anymore. So that instead of bouncing back from a little niggle, they become weeks out injuries. Grrrr......
  • the old geezers in the fast lane at the David lloyd Manchester

not coz they are really slow - just the opposite - they swim like fish and relentlessly - put the rest of us to shame
  • Very grumpy today! Due to:
    The horrid ice on the road yesterday that made me fall off, rip my leggings, bruise and graze my right thigh, knee and elbow and give some form of whiplash today meaning I couldn't go swimming! Grrrr!
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Why do race handbooks for the year only get published and delivered late Jan to late Feb.These include the BTF,RTTC,LVRC,the only one I get that is sent out in time for the year to start is the FRA Handbook.
    Does the year for organisations only last 10 months
    You try to plan a race calendar for the year and you're half way thru'it before you get the race dates.

I suppose that is a close second behind people that take up too much room in transition.
  • sportevesporteve Posts: 141
    one more for the pool
    'fizzy' people! they jump in the pool splash water everywhere and create more bubbles than 10 magnums of bubbly...slow or fast you have to let them move ahead because you can see nothing in a 5m radius around them...
  • I actually now feel I can contribute to this thread - in the front crawl lane at my local pool last night I was amazed to find out that I wasn't the slowest person as usual, but instead the fastest (relatively speaking; I am in no way fast). I'm used to giving way etc, so imagine my frustration to find a young couple just standing at the end of the lane talking and swimming about 2 lengths for every 20 of mine. Half of the pool is devoted for casual swimming, get out of my way in the lane!
    Ah young couples..I find the solution is as you arrive your hands get rather close to a region not usually accessed unless you are the 'other half', similarly the feet for the push off, you either get punched, or they move, or sometimes you get punched & they move..result. Sometimes you misjudge, you touch, get punched & they move..everyone wins.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Just to get us out of the pool for a second... if there's no dreadmill spare at the gym, but one is occupied by somebody walking at 5kmh while leaning over the safety bars so as to remove ANY benefit whatsoever, am I allowed to help them by changing it to 15k then stepping in when they fly off?

Similar question relating to the silly arses on the bikes, level zero, 10rpm, getting more fitness benefit from the movements of their eyeballs reading Hello or Loaded than from the cycling.

Go home.
    I can echo Bopo's remarks,the people doing it have probably become exhausted by driving the one mile to the gym,to use the treadmill,they probably take the elevator to the step class,and don't shower before entering the pool(well why should they if they haven't worked up a sweat)
  • cjay85cjay85 Posts: 7
    Being interrupted during a treadmill speed session, running at 16kph, to be told I had "reached the 20 minute limit and there is a queue" (of one).

Fair enough the rules are there, but if you are going to be pedantic enough to throw me off my treadmill mid-session when treadmills become available every two to three minutes then please do not proceed to use said treadmill to walk at a 5.5km pace without any incline for six minutes and a half.
    A fight almost broke out last week over a slight overstay on a cross trainer at my gym & we have daily verbal battles about opening windows (or not) with people threatening to 'go to my local councillor' about it.
    Not sure what they will do..bring it up at the next full meeting?
    People do get terrificaly worked up about stuff & seem not to be able to compromise, I am considering knocking the max time on everything to 10 mins & issuing numbers like at the supermarket...
    Britspin wrote:
    A fight almost broke out last week over a slight overstay on a cross trainer at my gym & we have daily verbal battles about opening windows (or not) with people threatening to 'go to my local councillor' about it.
    Not sure what they will do..bring it up at the next full meeting?
    People do get terrificaly worked up about stuff & seem not to be able to compromise, I am considering knocking the max time on everything to 10 mins & issuing numbers like at the supermarket...
    Forget about issuing the numbers,just get the people to do a challenge,the winner gets the machine,most pressups in 60 secs,first to 500m on the rower gets to open/close the window etc.
    Maybe introduce actual physical contact Boxercise(but I think it might be called something else),it might introduce a less attitude more activity mentality.
    Suppose the next qualification for a gym manager will be a refereeing one :roll: