Home Chat General Chat

Triathlete Europe Magazine - Anyone read it??

I just got myself a copy of the above magazine, which is quite a good read.

It's more targetted towards middle/ long distance triathlon and has some excellent articles around nutrition/ training and tips for long distance.

This month it has an article around the immediate effects of completing an Ironman, which makes interesting, if sometimes scary reading!! They reckon that by the end of the day, you'll have a good idea of what it feels like to be 20 years older than you are now, recovering slowly over a 3 week period!!

They also have some good interviews with long distance triathletes and what motivates them.

Having entered my first Ironman this year, I've found it useful and if your doing the same, I'd suggest giving it a go. If you don't aspire to middle/ long distance then I don't think it will be of much interest.

Comments

• GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Best mag on the market at the mo if you ask me.

220 this montha was pants.
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    I don't think I've bought 220 in over a year. Once you've read it for 12 months they just seem to churn out the same old stuff year on year with updated reviews!
  • It's a good mag. Much more in depth writing than the other mags with interesting articles like Triathlon Heresies and a great focus on races and people which nicely captures how the sport can influence all areas of your life. I get through 220 and the others of that type much more quickly than Triathlete Europe.

It also doesn't bother me that some of the content is obviously an Anglicised version of what was orignally intended for the American market as I quite like difference in style and philosophy, it makes interesting reading.
  • I'm a triathlon plus man myself, I like the jumbled up format and they have plenty of interesting interviews in which is what I like most out of a triathlon mag, because once you have seen 2 or 3 months of training advice you have seen it all.

I have read the Triathlon magazine and thought it was good but didn't think it was aesthetically the best (which I suppose it doesn't really matter), but to be fair I have only read 1 months and it was a while ago.

I would really like to see a triathlon magazine that had plenty of interviews in and a training/research section that tells us about NEW/pivotal research into training methods, nutrition, recovery etc. For me you see most magazines put in a few sentences about 'new' research but it is usually about crap and doesn't tell you a whole lot. As a sport scientist, there is so much info out there that triathletes dont know and producing a medium to provide this information in a readable format would create a powerful magazine that would be likely to grasp top triathlon spot for a magazine.

Remember once we have spent 6-12months in the sport we have a good grasp of program design and all the other guff that goes into some of these mags, I'd like to start seeing a bit of substance alongside it that can really improve the standard of training from Joe Blogs to Elite.