Home Chat General Chat

I've done it

It's been 6 long months trying to get fit (running,cycling,swimming,gym), lost 3 1/2 stone in weight, joined the local tri club last week and finally got the credit card out and entered my 1st ever triathlon.

Cheshire Sprint Triathlon
Nantwich
23rd May

I'm starting to get a bit worried now - I haven't riding a bike other than my trusty MTB and am worried about getting onto an all singing and dancing racing machine.

Thanks to the governments ride2work scheme I'm looking for a new bike but am struggling with some of the jargon i.e. what is the difference between a 'double and a compact'

I was looking at a Cube Agree GTC race and was wondering if anyone had any reviews.
http://www.cube-bikes.de/xist4c/web/agree-gtc-race_id_36196_.htm

Any help and pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Excellent well done

Re compact, double, standard etc you may want to look here gearing-triple-double-or-compact-t47459-10.html#p56577

No experience of the Cube but a lot of folks here like em
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    the cube is a lovely bike, i rode an aerial (entry level road bike) a couple of years ago and it was terrific, although i was new to road bikes and i found the geometry and handling a bit twitchy. in hindsight i wish i'd gone for something a bit more like the cube than my spesh.

i presume you already know this but most cycle to work schemes are capped at a grand and the cube is £1600. unless you've got an office with a consumer credit licence or a retailer prepared to 'work around the system' then you might not be able to get the cube.

as for double or compact, on top of zac's excellent linky i'd say that in your position i'd take the compact, unless you live somewhere fearsomely flat. if you are coming from a non-road bike user background (or even non-cycling!) then a double might be a bit fierce on the legs to start with. it is an easy thing to alter later with a new chain, chainrings or bike
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    my buddy has an agree.....I hate cycling with him 'cos his bike is so much better than mine.

that bike will make u happy.

I had planned on buying a Cube TT bike thiy year, however my LBS recommended I stay away from cube as they are small and had a lot of production problems last year (people who ordered 2009 carbon TT bikes got them in May!).
    I ordered a Spesh Transition.

I still like the cube though, I wonder if that would have been a better buy.

If you can just buy the cube, then go for it.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Good job atomic. Thats the perfect way to start a new year off.

I am a huge fan of the cubes. I have been cuvetting one from a far for sometime now. You have chosen well that looks like a beast! Have you considered a boardman?
  • AtomicAtomic Posts: 126
    Blinkybaz wrote:
    Have you considered a boardman?
    I looked at the Boardman and probably would have got one but the C2W voucher wont allow me to buy from Halfords. So I'm just going to splash out and treat myself to something a bit different.
  • WARNING! fitness optional, Credit essential.
  • I've got a Cube Peleton. It's a cracker of a bike, never let down. really well built, good gears and brakes etc, just what you need for your first sprint.

I got it last year on C2W, got everything that I needed helmet, shoes, cleats etc for just short of £940.

Only thing i did change was the tyres, they come with Schwabble Blizzards, good for the summer.......crap for winter!!! Got some Conti Gaterskins on and had no problems.

Good luck with your sprint tri................remember to enjoy it
    Thanks for all your help guys.

It looks like it will be a Cube for me . No-one seems to have a bad word for them. Just need to wait for my C2W voucher now

I have visited the dealer and had a look at some of the Cubes that he had in the shop and I fell in love with every one of them. Just wanted to spend all day in there staring at them. WAT officer had to drag me away.

I feel that the transformation is starting to take hold
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    atomic,

you local to Ayrshire? I assume the local club to be Ayrodynamics?

I went there a few times but work meands I can no longer attend.

Lots of assumptions here cause I don't know where you live, but are you getting the cube from Walkers?

If you are PM me
    Managed to order my Cube Agree GTC Race from my LBS.

Been told that it won't be in till March.

What am I going to do for four weeks.

I think I'll go and clear a space for her.