Home Chat General Chat

puncture punctures and more punctures!

I'm at my wits end!

I bought my 1st road bike second hand. The bike its self is fine and dandy but I get soooo many punctures its unreal.

I've had about 15 - 20 punctures since about March!

I have put new tyres on (michelin speediums) and tried the slime "self healing" tubes but still they continue to happen. I've checked the actual rim and can't see or feel anything obvious that could be causing it.

4 of us set off on a 60 mile run this morning the other 3 guys cruised round but I had 3, yes 3, punctures.

I'm due to pack it in!

HELP!

Comments

• Specialized Armadillo. Slightly heavier, so slightly slower, but bomb proof. Have them on my road and hybrid bikes, and never had a puncture (that's a kiss if death then)
  • As above all the way I've had one puncture in 18 months, they're amazing.

As an everyday tire they are great, not expensive either.

Actually if you get them and have more than 5 punctures in a year, I'll buy you a new set myself.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Similar to the Spesh tyres are the Bontrager All Weathers.

I used to get punctures all the time until lI fitted these. Still got them on the bike.... a bit pricey but worth it.
  • big4ndybig4ndy Posts: 24
    Unfortunately it wasn't me who won euromillions so i won't be buying anything carbon but thanks for the suggestion conehead.

The armidilos sound like the way forward. I'm looking at new wheels too but not carbon ones!

Cheers folks.
  • HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Check your tyres for bit of embedded glass and dig them out.

Small flakes can slowly work their way through & eventually puncture your inner
  • largeadelargeade Posts: 166
    Being a Big 4ndy, have you checked your tyres are inflated sufficiently?

e.g. are you getting pinch flats?

At 14st (used to be 16st) I run 110psi with clinchers.

Normally if you get a puncture the reason is obvious e.g. hole in the tyre where the flint went in. Where in the tube is the split generally occuring? Inside, outside or edge.
    Well I'm no greyhound put it that way haha. 14 1/2 stone and 6ft 2. The tyres are well pumped up however. I have a track pump so they're always about 110-120.

I'm going to start from scratch. New wheels, new tubes and these armidilo bad boys the guys are recommending and we'll see how we go.

Cheers.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    I was going to suggest new wheels but thought it was a bit decadent.

However, my old Eastons were nice enough, but an absoutely knuckle bleeding nightmare getting tyres on. I was forever pinching tubes and having to use metal levers as I was breaking plastic ones, then 30mins later wrestling the ###king tyres off AGAIN! Nightmare.

My Mavics though? I can use my thumbs to get the tyres on. Beautiful. No more pinch punctures.
    The amount I've spent on tubes this year the new wheels, tubes and tyres will end up saving me money in the long run!
  • Replace your rim tape to start with and check the inside of your tyre for any thorns or bits of glass. Finally when you pump up your tyres be carefull not to pinch the inner tube with the tyre and the wheel, as everyone else keep them pumped up....good luck