Home Chat General Chat

Open Water Swimming

I know its a bit early still but I've been looking for somewhere that I would be able to go open water swimming in the South West of Scotland (or North West England).

Is it just a case of finding a lake and going for it or is there places where organised events take place

I know that there are places further south but am struggling to find somewhere a bit closer to home.

Help.

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Atomic,

i wouldn't like to go swimming in the solway either.... some nasty underwater currents there.

You also have the Nith, its a freshwater river.

This might sound daft, but I use the river doon in Ayr. right on the mouth of sea. Its a cracking swim up river for resistance and then fast back down.

I'm certain there is a bit on the Solway that you can swim in, so I'll have a look and I'll get back to you.
  • AtomicAtomic Posts: 126
    There's a cove at Brighouse Bay near Dalbeattie (excellent campsite too) with a nice sandy beach that looks ideal for swimming in.

Only problem is that whenever I've been there it is full of jelly fish (just like the rest of the solway.

You are right though about the currents on the solway. I live next to the shore and have seen 3 inch thick metal bars being bent by the force of the water regularly. Don't fancy my chances in it.