Home Chat General Chat

Road Rage Victim... advice sought

Just wondered if anyone had been here before, and had any advice.

On Sunday I was riding along at 20+mph through a fairly quiet housing estate which I do each week without incident. I was aware of a car behind me, but as I was on a straight thought nothing of it.

Next thing the bloke pulled along side and shouted that I should be on the cyclepath. Instead of ignoring him, which I know I should have, I told him to <mind his own business>. Next thing, he's pulled across in front of me right up to the kerb and slammed his brakes on so I've crashed into the back of him at about 5-10mph.

So I've ended up going over the handlebars and he's driven off. No witnesses. Fortunately I managed to get his number plate. Minor cuts and bruises down my right side but bike seems unbeliveably okay(!), just scratches on the right handlebar tape/shifter which seems to be where the contact was. I took the full impact on the floor I guess.

I guessed he might be going to the supermarket at the top so I pulled myself together and went to have a look. Found the bloke just getting into his car. Grabbed the door so he couldnt shut it - he was trying to drive off again - made a real fuss (I've no idea how I didnt deck him), and had the police called.

The Police found damage to his rear light where my handlbar had hit it. However after taking statements unbelievably they are not going to prosecute seemingly because I wasnt injured enough!!! They were going to treat it as a normal road traffic incident and ignore the dangerous driving / leaving the scene of an accident' bit.

In my opinion this guy needs sorting before he actually hurts somebody. The damage to the bike is slight, and I can live with a bit of pain as it wont stop me training. I am still fuming.

[Off topic:
1) The bikes alloy with carbon forks. Should I get them checked, as the wheel isnt even slightly buckled?
2) the police confirmed that I didnt have to be on the cycle path on a road bike. At these speeds I consider it dangerous with all the Sunday families about plus I dont want to keep stopping at the kerbs]

Input welcomed.



  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I really can't believe that they aren't going to press charges. I was under the impression that leaving the scene of an accident is a criminal offense - and i'm sure than intentionally crashing into someone is also likely to be illegal. I would go to the police station with what ever you were given by the police and request that they press charges.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Error whilst Doing a Replacement, Error in srv_convert.
  • I agree, as the police have labelled this 'an accident' then by definition him going is leaving the screen of an accident - an offence. It's not a big deal for the coppers and probably they don't want the hassle of the paperwork. Go into the police station (did they give you an incident no?) and insist on taking it further!!

    On a side note - be the bigger man, ignore idiots like this, to retaliate only brings you into their realm of stupidity...but then that may just be my Buddhist tendencies
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    Are you insured? BTF members have legal assistance, bike insurance may cover it, also home insurance may provide legal assistance. You could also try contacting the motor insurers bureau, http://www.mib.org.uk/Home/en/default.htm who can help with hit and run insurance claims.

    A trip to the police station might be in order. I'd ask them to do something about the dangerous driving. Sounds a bit like a hit and run (although they made you crash into them). There was a doctor in America that started off with a similar thing, then it got more serious http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/l ... ists-24570. He got 5 years in prison for what he did.

    At the end of the day at least you weren't badly injured.
  • just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    Not sure if it is any good, but I have been taken off the bike, well I had to break to avoid collision, and the driver went off after first stopping to chat to me. I made a police report and it is a criminal offence to leave the scene, as I had broken my elbow and damaged my shoulder.

    As I was in a bit of a state, sitting on the sidewalk, I did not get his registration number. First I thought there is nothing I can do, but then I came accross this no win no fee solicitors and they took my case on, even though the police said they cannot trace the driver.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Speak to the CTC. I'm sure they will assist and have dealt with thousands of cases like this.
    Good luck.
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    Ill have a word with my other half.....she is a copper..... see what her view is on it.....

    To be honest mate youve done well not to smack him.... I wouldnt be able to hold back on that one...

    I would of leathered him, but if hed actually got in his car I probably would of found some to put through his windscreen so hed have to stop then smash him up too..... not that Iv got road rage at all....lol

    Seriously when my missis gets home 2moro ill get her to read your post and make comment....
  • Firstly, well done for not smacking him although I'm sure you wanted to take his world apart.....but its sods law that it would've been you who ended up getting nicked and not the idiot in the car. I've had mates of mine who've been victims of things like this and they've taken to unclipping their shoes from the pedal and swiftly removing the offenders wing mirror.....not stricly legal but very satisfying and seeing as bikes don't have registration plates they are very hard for the police to trace - although they did wear different cycling gear for the next few weeks!

    I think most of the legal stuff has been covered by everyone else but if I were you I would go to the local police station and insist on speaking to the duty inspector. The duty inspector is the person who is the first point of contact in the reciept of a police complaint and will then decide where the matter goes from there. I'm not sure if you're frustrated with the idiot or lack of police action more.

    In my opinion it would seem that the officers who dealt with that matter have called it a score draw seeing as your are not injured, the damage to the bike seems minimal and you've given him a motuhful then detained him later on. The lack of witnesses and/or CCTV means its just your word against his...once they take this to the Crown Prosecution service they probably won't authorise proceedings due to this. If it did go to court then the idiot might make all sorts of allegations regarding you shouting/swearing at him and any decent solicitor will tell him to report this as a public order offence thereby muddying the waters somewhat.

    I know this is probably not what you want to hear and the responce from the police is not ideal. Its what gives us, sorry them, a bad name. Lastly, console yourself with the thought that this idiot is likely to do this to somone again and hopefully the next person he does it rips his stupid little head off!
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    As Bucko75 says and in my post, unless this bloke cops to knocking you off your bike and admitting a criminal offence of battery - up to 6 months in jug - then I am afraid it is your word against his. Hand hand on heart if you were presented with 2 cars moments after a rear end shunt and without seeeing the actual collision the tendency would to to conclude that the rear car was driving too close/without due care and attention and that is what this bloke is relying on.

    Make no mistake this man (loose description) is dangerous, he has used a tonne of steel as an offensive weapon, he is a bully and from what you have said a coward (bully=coward) as when faced up in the car park he didn't mix it.

    I really can't see what else you can do; for a criminal prosecution conviction must be on evidence that is beyond reasonable doubt; for a civil action it would be on the balance of probability. You could try a claim through the Small Claims Court http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/info ... /index.htm but he would still be able to lie his way out of it in my opinion unless he admits the whole or part of his actions.
  • Get some dog repellent off the internet (more commonly known as pepper spray.)
  • AtomicAtomic Posts: 126
    I would say keep your eyes peeled

    Every dog has his day
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Pepper spray = potential offensive weapon

    Prevention of Crime Act 1953
    1 Prohibition of the carrying of offensive weapons without lawful authority or reasonable excuse.
    (1)Any person who without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, the proof whereof shall lie on him, has with him in any public place any offensive weapon shall be guilty of an offence, and shall be liable—.
    (a)on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or a fine not exceeding £200, or both;.
    (b)on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding four years or a fine not exceeding one hundred pounds, or both.

    Carry pepper spray and it is not up to the Crown to prove that you did not have lawful authority or reasonable excuse it is up to you to prove that you did.

    Gents wind in the testosterone. Simple solution avoid this route and this nutcase, don't argue with a knob in a tonne of steel.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Forget pepper spray,use a small jif lemon,fits in the hand and can be used against aggressive dogs.

    Regarding the road rage,go to the police and see if they are willing to issue a Regulation 59 to the driver.
    This basically tells the driver that if he is reported again for the offence he will have his car crushed.It might need some evidence though.
  • largeadelargeade Posts: 166
    Thanks guys, some really good advice, and some laughs.
    I guess its as I thought, I've (fortunately hypothetically speaking) no leg to stand on, and if I pursue it I open myself to counter claims (aka must stay calmer when confronting idiots).
    I've logged it on the CTC smidsy website so if he does it again theres a reference.
    Unfortunately the supermarket is half a mile from my house, so avoiding the area is impossible.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Check out www.cycle-sos.co.uk and get yourself a free card. They're basically ambulance chasers, but might be some value in it. I've got a card on my desk, think it came with some sustrans information.
    It's a bit like something you might get with car insurance - on the back it says
    "Had an accident?
    Remain calm and polite
    Note the precise location of impact and mark it.
    Obtain the names and addresses of witnesses and drivers.
    Note registration number of vehicles involved.
    Sketch or photograph location - road surface and damaged vehicles / cycles - note skid or other marks and debris on the road.
    Keep the cycle in its damaged state.
    Report the incident to the police as soon as possible
    Seek detailed free legal advise from a Cycle-S.O.S. specialist

    [email protected]
    0808 100 999 5

    This is NOT an endorsement - I have no experience of their services. IANAL, DYOR, etc.
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    I'dve loved to have seen the guys face when you roioad into the car park though!
  • You did well not to overreact and take revenge pysichally - much respect!

    Personally, I would do a leaflet drop in the area of the incident asking that any witnesses who saw the guy maliciously run you off the road/knock you off your bike to contact you or the police. Just because nobody came to your aid doesn't mean there weren't any!! Its worth a shot.

    If there was a witness who is willing to give a statement then you are in a much better position to take it further. Good luck
Sign In or Register to comment.