Home Chat General Chat

Heart rate after break.......

I've been training almost 6 months now for IM Canada (my first one) and a couple of weeks ago I had a bike accident which meant I virtually couldnt train atall for about 10 days (bar a couple of swims). Alot of my focus on my training was heart rate and just before the crash I had got to the point where I could comfortably run my target IM marathon pace (4 hours) at about 70 -75% of max heart rate, I had improved significantly in this area over the 6 months. I've been running and cycling again since sunday (virtually back to full training programme) although my heart rate seems to be through the roof at the moment- for example when I run IM pace I am now about 12 to 15 beats higher...

Has anyone come across a similar thing before? I think the answer is probably a combination of being fully rested, losing a little bit of sharpness over the 2 weeks and being anxious about getting back to normal - but any comments/ words of reassurance appreciated!

Comments

• BoycieBoycie Posts: 189
    I wouldn't worry, you will be back to normal in no time, I'm sure. You would be suprised at how many physiological changes take place after a short period of detraining, like a reduction in blood volume, not to mention possible changes in efficiency. However this reductions are soon reversed when training resumes. I wouldn't be a slave to your HR monitor too much, and build back up to your previous fitness. It won't take long.

David.
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    you are contradicting yourself - If you are going the same speed but your heart rate is higher you are infact going slower; iether you are trianing to your heart rate or to your pace..

To fix you need to go slower to get your heart rate in the right place and then train at that level to increase speed.. I think perhaps you have forgoten to backstep a little following your injury.

Bad luck by the way! stay strong and focus on endurance not speed.