Home Chat General Chat

Cant make up my mind.

Right, i have a carbon framed road bike from 2000 with ultegra & clip on aero bars.
Latest olympic tri i did 40km in 1h and 9min. Bike is 58cm and im 5'10 1/2" so almost to big.

I now have a offer of a carbon framed tri bike from 2009 with shimano 105... (my bike + £500)

one side say: Buy Buy Buy

other side says:Do i really need a new bike ,I.e. its winter and if i would buy a new bike i would not have got shimano 105, plus really if you don't train enough an expansive bike still wont help....

Comments

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    Buy the bike and swap the components?

IE have the tri bike as summer / race bike with the ultegra, and the road bike with 105 for the winter.

Sell the clip-on bars to make the new bike even cheaper.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Reading your post again, your current bike is from 2000? Does that include the components?

I'm guessing 2000 Ultegra and 2009 105 will be no different anyway?
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Agree with Jules 10yr old Ultegra v 1yr old 105 can't see the conflict, 105 perfectly OK.

So the question is does the tri frame, bars, shifters etc warrant the £500?

What about wheels?

All things being equal, if the frame is decent then I reckon you will see an improvement, don't expect a huge leap, but you should also get a better kick off on the run.
  • andissandiss Posts: 82
    My bike is a trek 5200 oclv complete with rolf vector wheels the trade would be a 2009 kuota k-factor..and im still very much in love with my bike. Did almost 2000miles on it last 8 months.

Id say i will start saving a buy something i really would like and there is some good value out there like the cube bikes.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Ah, now from that I would say keep the Trek. Intrigued by your comments on the sizing though.

If you have a good road bike and are using it then if it aint fixed ...

Agree start putting your pennies to one side and some day the tri bike of your dreams may suddenly present itself but set a standard and don't comprimise on it as any new bike will have a lot to live up against the Trek.

Happy riding