Home Chat General Chat

Training Question - commute yes or no?

I am following the beIRONfit program by Don Fink, but only to the HIM stage. The intermediate program requires 3 rides a week: 1 short one of 45mins followed by a brick run, one medium one of 1 hour with interval/speed sessions and one long one 2-4 hours (I have added a 3-5k brick run to this one).

I do the long ride on the weekend, but incorporate the other two sessions into my commute. This means two of 8 commutes are taken care of (one day I run 20k to work to get my long run done), but I am still riding to/from work another 6 times a week, 20k each way. Should I drop these commutes to save my energy? I am shattered at the end of the week, as I do all of my swims (3 a week) and runs (30 mins, 45 mins, 1.15, 1.5-2hrs) during the week before work, usually between 6 and 8 am.

Comments

• largeadelargeade Posts: 166
    Assuming you're eating enough and *taking a rest day*... if it were me I'd drop a short run, have an extra lie in, and see how I felt.

As I get injured with running I'm getting by fine on two runs a week (4-5 bikes, 2-3 swims), but I'm only aiming for a sub-6hr time.

ade