Home Chat General Chat

wimbleball UK half ironman

TT bike or road bike?

Comments

• Either. First half of the loop is best suited to a TT bike, but 2nd half probably better for a road bike. Best option is to chuck a good cassette on the rear, nice to have a good cog for the sharp hills, and the 2nd lap.
  • thanks - I see you did the uk im this year - which bike tt/road?
  • Road bike, clip on bars, and an 11-28 cassette. But buggered the gears up at about 6:45 in the morning, resulting in only having the middle three cogs, and slipping when I stood on the pedals. Lesson learnt though, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

This video should help, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcpp4ceJ7NY
  • The Wimbleball will be my second half distance event having done a day in the lakes this year, which i dragged myself round in under 7hours. im just wondering if anyone else has done both and would know if ADITL is harder than Wimbleball.
    Im then off to Switzerland for the IM, then the UK IM before i have a rest and recover before wales..
    so any advice will be welcome..
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I did UK 70.3 this year on a TT bike and was fine - there are only 2 steep hills and neither is that long - so you just mash your way up slowly and then Aero all the rest of the way

Make sure you practise plenty of hills though as it is undulating, I just don't think its as bad as everyone makes out.
  • I used a road bike but would use my TT bike if I did it again.
    double with 12 - 27

gearing was just about right for me.

One thing to watch out for is if your using tub wheels then watch out for the very sharp down hill as I saw a few people struggling to brake.
  • OranjOranj Posts: 45
    How does the hilliness compare to Bala Middle?
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Oranj wrote:
    How does the hilliness compare to Bala Middle?
    Mr Oranj! I seem to recall you absolutely smashed bala last year...
    Er maybe

Done it twice now though and decided that IM UK 70.3 was worth a punt instead.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Oranj wrote:
    Er maybe

Dammit! There goes my AG first place at wimbleball!

Btw, the bcttt are organising a wimbleball ride in jan 11! Burn off that turkey and Xmas pud!!!
    Btw, the bcttt are organising a wimbleball ride in jan 11! Burn off that turkey and Xmas pud!!!
    Too early for me! I might get down there to test out the course, later in the year then.
  • Not done Bala Im afraid, but it is 1850 meters of climbs and basically not very much flat.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Flavadave wrote:
    [quote="Oranj":2mdeum3x]
    Er maybe

Dammit! There goes my AG first place at wimbleball!

Btw, the bcttt are organising a wimbleball ride in jan 11! Burn off that turkey and Xmas pud!!![/quote:2mdeum3x]

If it helps Dave I will make sure you beat me!
    Hmmm, the course is hard as nails! I was 50 minutes slower than Bala Middle and still won my AG, just.