Home Chat General Chat

My Triathlon Cheerleader: 7 Ways to Make the Sidelines Aweso

The sidelines of a triathlon aren’t like any other sport. You’re on the move with each checkpoint, waiting to catch a fleeting glimpse of your favorite athlete.

And you’re not alone. There’s usually a gamut of family members, friends, and significant others all lined up to watch and cheer.

You’ve been there for your athlete, supporting him or her throughout training. The big day is your opportunity to continue being part of the experience!

• Show your pride. Create a team shirt. I’ve used an iron on “Team Garcia” to create my own brightly colored “jersey”. Feeling extra creative? Get out the fabric paint and go crazy! This is a great way to get the kids engaged! Here are a few more tips on Fabric painting.

• Stand out. Bring a balloon, brightly colored sign, or umbrella your athlete can easily spot. Keep in mind you’ll be in a crowd, so the taller the better. That said you don’t want to be “that guy” who makes it impossible for anyone behind you to see.

• Bring snacks. Yes, for yourself, too. You’ll probably be there a while. Don’t forget yourself when it comes to snacks and hydration!

• Dress for the day. Triathlons usually start early--when it’s chilly (even in the summer)! Wear layers and bring sunglasses, sunscreen, etc.

• Start conversations. You’re surrounded by a ton of people who are all there with great spirits. Don’t be shy! Talk to other cheerleaders. You all have stories to share and goals of your own!

• Bring a first aid kit. There will likely be first aid staff on site, but having your own kit is a good idea. Keep in mind the potential for outdoor issues: bee stings, allergies, cuts, sprains, and the basics.

• Time your athlete. This one depends on your athlete’s preferences. Most triathlons provide official times, but it’s sometimes fun to time the little things: how long it takes to transition, which bike set up works best, etc. This is also another way to keep the kids interested. Let the kids know what times your athlete is expecting and ask them to be the official time benchmarker!

Being on the sidelines can be a ton of fun. Although you can’t always see your own triathlete, you’re part of the experience in a different way than other sports. To me, it’s always felt like I’ve been my triathlete ‘s team member!

[img:3eiojf6w]http://www.mytriathlontrainer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Cheerleader_edited-1-e1302150212624.jpg[/img:3eiojf6w]
Create a team shirt. I’ve used an iron on “Team Garcia” to create my own brightly colored “jersey”. Feeling extra creative? Get out the fabric paint and go crazy!

What are some tips you have for your fellow cheerleaders? If you’re a triathlete, what do you love most about your sideliners? Or what would you like to see from them?

For more triathlon training tips visit MyTriathlonTrainer and start a conversation with me on Facebook and Twitter.

Comments