Home Chat General Chat

Kona Champs 2011

Can anyone help!! Will the Kona 2011 Champs be broadcast over the internet???
If so what do you have to do in order to enable live streaming of Kona??
Is it free???
Appreciate any advice.

Best regards
Stevo

Comments

• As far asI am aware and someone please correct me if I am wrong, your only option is what is going to be put out on www.ironmanlive.com. I believe they are going to be putting out more coverage this year and have brought in a few high profile producers, what this will be I am not too sure.

As I understand it NBC has the television rights and they condense their footage into a show which will be put out in early December in the States, which I guess you could watch online.

I am not sure if the Ironman programmes which have been on Eurosport and at times on Channel4 will pick up and pay for any rights after NBC have broadcast.

I know its a bit of a sorry state of affairs, but it always has been so as far as I understand, Ironman Corporation seem to see America as its target audience, yet in the States triathlon is a real minority sport. No matter how good the coverage there would be 100 times more viewers who would tune into NASCAR than watch the Hawaii World Championships.

Why they do not have the foresight to move the World Championship onto a global rota beats me or have a Grand Slam as in tennis. The TV rights would be valuable in Europe and a world championship at say Roth, would create massive interest. I think it would need to take European athletes who are generally powerhouses to constantly win over there to change perceptions. As that is not going to happen on a regular basis given temperatures, humidity etc.. I can't see anything changing in the near future.
  • Hi Lancs Rider,

I know it is a shame there is not more coverage of the World Champs.

Thank you for the advice regards the website - should make interesting viewing so long as internet does not play up. Looks like a long night ahead if I am to watch the event through to conclusion.

Thanks again
    Stevo