Home Chat General Chat

What to spend money on ?

Hi all,

This is my first post and I am hoping you might be able to help me. Last year I entered a couple of sprint distant events and am looking for ways to improve my time. I know that most of it will come down to training hard but would like your opinions on which of the following would make the biggest difference.

1. Clip on Tri bars + new tyers
2. New wheels
3. New gears

I can probably afford to buy one per season and as a begginer dont really know where to start. The bike I have is a 2011 Specialized Alles sport.

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    One of the cheapest bangs for the buck would be to fit tri bars but you should read this
    http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/ ... kefit.html

A lot to take in but stick with it, you should also read this
    http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/difference.shtml

Some people also take the saddle off, rotate it 180deg and put it back on, this has the effect of altering the saddle position in relation to the BB

Having said all that it is worthwhile getting a bike fit
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I agree with Zacnici from those 3 - Tri bars would probably be your best buy, gets you used to the sort of aero position you would get on a TT bike.
  • Hi Matt, I also have the Specialized Allez Sport and added a set of Raleigh RSP aero bars for £40. Considering the price they made a massive difference to my bike times!........just to let you know if you go for this option, dont bother trying to turn your seatpost around as when you refit the saddle it will point slightly upwards!.....I visualise this as being pretty painfull! ......I have the saddle as far forward as it will go without altering the saddle angle and this works fine for me!....but to get your ultimate riding position I advise a Bike fit after you purchase the tri bars!

The second purchase would be some aero wheels!

As for the gears I wouldn't bother changing them, they're pretty good on the Allez!.......If you reach the point where your unhappy with the gears, it's Time to upgrade your whole bike to some nice Carbon! and you could then use your Allez for training and social rides