Home Chat General Chat

Heart Rates and Zones

I am frustrated and despite what I have read, completely clueless (still).

I am starting out in triathlon and have been training for a few months now but have no idea what I should or shouldn't be doing (to the point where I think I need to subscribe/pay monthly for a trainer who will tell me what to do - end of story - and I can let my head rest a little).

Here's the deal - At the moment I can comfortably ride 40km in 80 minutes (easy pace - feels effortless really)

I can run 10km very comfortably in 50-60 minutes. I did test myself and ran 10K in 43 minutes a few months ago but haven't bothered running that fast since (plus I am coming out of an injury - hmmm - maybe the 43 minutes was a contributing factor!!)

The problem is heart rates, zones and and what training pace I should be doing - when I run 10K in 50-60 minutes my HR swings between 160 and 175 (which according to the calculations in Mens Running is my max intensity level) but I feel absolutely fine at this pace (I usually start breaking a sweat after 3-5 kms).

I am turning 40 this year (so without having a maths degree I am supposed to use the following equation):

(Max HR 180 - Resting HR of 70) multiplied by .90 (max %) + 70 = 170

Does this mean I should run/cycle slower? What do I need to do to get my 10K run in the 30 minute bracket?

Try4triathlon

Comments

• I'm no expert here, but here's what I've found:

There are several ways to calculate max HR
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/maxhr.htm
    But remember that these are just formula for 'general' people - you may be outside of these guides.

I'm 43, so doing these calculations gives me a max HR of between 177 and 187
    If we pick the 187 and assume that my resting HR is 57, then my working range is 187-57 = 130.

So, my 60% to 70% range would be 135 to 148 (60% of 130 + 57 = 135)
    My 70% to 80% range would be 148 to 161
    My 80% to 90% range would be 161 to 174

Info here on how to train in the zones:
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hrm1.htm
  • HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    You're in a mess.

Everyone on this forum can give a different answer to your problems and for every one of them they will work but none of them are likely to work for you. So, get a coach who can work with you face to face and build up a training plan specific to you. Don't go for one of those remote email things otherwise you could end up in the same mess but with less dosh in your pocket.

Yours

HarryD
  • Thanks for the help - I am going to speak/sort it with a coach (start as I mean to go on...). I fear I will continually second guess what I am doing.