Home Chat General Chat

Z2 Heart Rate runs - minimum duration?

I've been trying to adjust my training to include more specific aerobic workouts, long slow distance type stuff to build endurance.

I often go running at work but due to the fact I only get a short lunch break I can only get 30 mins of running done - is this too short to be an effective Z2 workout and would I be better off doing higher intensity stuff in my lunch breaks and schedule longer runs outside work?

I realise I'm going to need to do longer runs as well but is it worth doing extra short slow runs at lunch?

Any input appreciated!

Comments

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Sickboy,

They all add up.

Assuming this is your off season there is nothing wrong with doing one quality lunchtime session per week. At this time of year probably a real tempo run/lactate threshold run. 5 min warm up & cool down with 20 min of tempo should work wonders. Can alternate with more technical runs such as focussing on light feet/ picking feet up as well as breathing and upper body relaxations.

Save the more intense stuff until you start building for competition.

Hope this helps

HarryD
  • Thanks for the advice Harry, I'm really getting into this HR zone stuff now. I've never really trained very technically before so I'm keen to see how much of a difference this will make - normally I'd just do everything by feel but having the HR monitor on is defniately making me keep pace better. Without it I'd just feel like I was running way too slowly...