Home Chat General Chat

Which Cassette?

Hi,

I've recently bought a second hand Planet X stealth pro carbon bike and have used it in a couple of races.

I've definitely felt the benefit over my old bike and am making it into the top 25% in terms on my positions on the bike leg (best we don't mention the swim and running bit). What I have noticed though is people I am over taking can catch me up if there's a bit of a hill involved.

Having checked the cassette on the bike it has 23 teeth on the big ring at the back and I have been told that I should think about getting a different cassette with more teeth on it?

Is this good advice and what is the disadvantage? I can't help thinking if it's better to have more teeth than why don't they come like that as standard?

If it is a good idea to have a different cassette (even if just for hilly courses) then how do I decide which one and are they difficult to fit?

And are there any compatibility problems? The one I have on at the moment is a shimano CS 6500

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Comments

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    If you are struggling slightly on hills, you could put a cassette with a 28 on the bike.
    If you are looking to swop cassettes for different courses, consider swopping the chain as well due to the wear on them.

Sheldon Browns website has a shed load of info on it regarding gear ratios.
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    The SRAM 11-28 cassette is good - I have it. First 5 are 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 so nice and tight, hops to 17, 19, 22, 25, 28 Pay about £30 ish if you shop around