Home Chat General Chat

Improving my race pace

I am new to this site and I would welcome any advise. Yesterday I competed in the Hillingdon Duathlon, a 6Km run followed by 25Km bike. My run split was 43:16, I suffered badly with a low abdominal stitch which made it difficult to breath and I ended up having to take a walk break much to my frustration. My last training run of the distance was 48:36. I really want to be able to run quicker, does anybody have any advise or at 46 is this as good as it gets for me, I didn't mind coming last in the race and when I compared my result to the 2009 event i had improved by about 9 mins!! So I guess it is not all bad!!

Any help grafefully received.

Comments

• SuperSonicSuperSonic Posts: 18
    I'm no expert but I am 44 and very much an amateur and I have certainly not given up on improving my running times.

You don't say what your training is like, but if you're running round an 8k loop twice a week then you may find that you improve slowly. I do my training and then every few weeks I run a fixed course and I time it. If I look at my times over the last 12 months, the slowest time is about 42m and the fastest is 36m 20s so I'm still improving.

Training wise I do a variety of different running sessions - some to improve my endurance such as longer slower runs, some to improve my speed such as short fast sessions or intervals.

I've also changed my cadence when running - I was feeling like I was lumbering on long strides and so I've sped up my stride and reduced the length slightly which makes me feel lighter and more efficient.

Hope that helps
  • Hi Runningcat, i am from a running background and spend most of my days training soldiers. Running is their foundation and what i also notice is that although most people have strong legs they forget about their upper body. I always advise to imagine that you are carrying two Skips crips (the make doesnt really matter), one in each hand and that these crisps are very expensive. The criss have to be carried but not broken which once tried relaxes the upper body. Once the upper body is relaxed it naturally places itself in the most efficent position and allows the legs to also relax. that said there is no better way to improve than just putting in the time. Just remember, quaility is better than quantity; speed sessions on a track or between lamp-posts make masses of imporovements. I hope this helps. How are you at swimming as i am terrible?