Home Chat General Chat

UK Clydesdale/Heavies/large Tri clubs or intrest?

Hello Guys and girls,

First post so be gentle

Have been trying to find more information specific to training and competing as a big un (i think I'm more Shire than Clydesdale; though it's cart horse semantics).

I have read and searched many of the forum posts and links through Google but struggle to find anything really relating to the UK which is still an active link( the Clydesdale triathlon UK net site does not seem to work).

If there currently isnt anything anyone interested in an informal group to share training and race times virtually or even meeting up at a few events?

Cheers Will

Comments

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    The UK Clydesdale never caught on, the website that you mentioned died a death due to lack of interest, sorry and all that, like me you will just have to battle it out with the age groupers, or move to the USA where it has more of a following, just get out and enjoy it, you may be surprised how many of the smaller competitors are slower

Size should never be a boundary, come one come all.
  • eakettseaketts Posts: 5
    I was hoping to be able to chat to some of the heavier folk and compare training, times and equipment recommendations etc. I have started multi sports mainly due to my weight as when i started trying to sort my fitness out i was over 21 stone and my knees didn't like the impact as much as when was younger, fit and lighter. 3 months later down to a more manageable 17 stone mixing up the training and longer workouts is far easier did my longest cv and first brick yesterday with an hour on the bike and a 45 min run. I would have liked to share advice, training tips and times/event meet ups with other people who are of a similar size but it would seem you are right and there isn't the interest which surprised me as there seems to be plenty over the 200lb mark taking part.
  • sonofsammosonofsammo Posts: 191
    Yup- there's a few of us!
    When i started i was 240, now i'm about 206....
    But i just think of myself as a triathlete (just!) rather than a big triathlete....
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Who cares if your are big ?

I'm a skinny bloke and I dont look for a club that only has sinny members!!

Ive never bated an eyelid at anyone else with regard to their size, shape, weight, height.

Rock up. race and enjoy it.

The only thing i look at is the other bling bikes in T1

Really - good on your for starting out - I know plenty of big lads who are quicker than me. No one cares mate
    I would have liked to share advice, training tips and times/event meet ups with other people who are of a similar size but it would seem you are right and there isn't the interest which surprised me as there seems to be plenty over the 200lb mark taking part.
    Again - they obviously dont see themselves as any different. They dont have a black only tri club, no skinny only tri clubs, no lesbian only tri clubs.

I think the issue lies with your insecurity - not the fact there are no clubs that offer you the segregation you seem to want.

Cut to the chase - are you embarressed by your weight ?

Mate - seriously - this is the BEST sport in the world. Get stuck in - sod what you think you look like - you'l be look upon as a triathlete ...... not an overweight triathlete.... just "one of us".

Really - dont miss the boat. You'll bloody love it. I have a friend who is 24 stone who races.

Also - get over the BCTTT.com forum.... plenty of folk there to offer advice etc. We are a friendly bunch
    +1 for what the skinny bloke said

for advice I would look to strengthen your muscles around your knees, adductor muscles,etc to help support them and reduce the impact as much as possible.
    I'm not embarrassed about my weight, quite chuffed really to have lost 3 stone in as many months from training and lifestyle change (which has been hard working 14 hr days 7 days a week) but would be concerned about times with joining a club. The times posted on the clubs sites for training groups are currently beyond my reach for the slowest, but maybe once i get fitter i'd hate to slow others down. We'll see how things progress, doing the Great North Swim in 2 weeks, the Eastleigh Aquathlon on the 28th and either the Eastleigh or Warminster sprint on the 1st foray. Would be tempted by the South Glouc mid week next week but as i don't get back from Nigeria till thursday and have yet to put my bike together or have it fitted it might be a bit of an ask so close.

Appreciate the kind comments and advice Will check out the link

Cheers WIll
  • ScoutyScouty Posts: 8
    Where are you based in the UK Will? Sounds like you're fairly close to Bristol?
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    +1 for above

Every club has triathletes of all shapes and sizes - get stuck in and post your race reports, comments etc here, nobody will judge you
    Oh nc well done for shedding the weight so far.

Cracking to hear. Maybe see you passing me at a race.... Be kind
    You say that the clubs you have looked at have times posted for the various groups, and that you feel that you can not meet the slowest criteria, my advice is to give those clubs a WIDE BERTH, as they seem only interested in faster team members, but I would give the club secretary a ring to clarify the criteria, as it does seem a touch elitist, most clubs around the country have a come one come all mentality,

But as Willieverfinish has said pop over to (blatent advertising plug ) ,www.BCTTT.com and introduce yourself, say where you are from and the chances are they may be someone near by, unlike local clubs this is an internet based one with members from all over the country,

find an event, rock up, give it a go, and get addicted.
    Yep not too far from Bristol, I live in a village on the Glouc/wilts border not far from Tetbury and Malmesbury. So Bristol/Swindon/Gloucester are all not far off the same time travelling.

Quite a few of the events i'm hoping to attend are being ran by DB Max so hopefully might bump into some friendly faces there. Again cheers for the warm welcome off to peruse the links
    I just approved your BCTTT registration

Good shout :/)

Easy as that
  • ScoutyScouty Posts: 8
    Ah, I thought you were fairly local!

There are plenty of Tri clubs in and around Bristol; I'm sure you could find one to fit your needs. Joining a club can be fairly intimidating if you're new to a sport; I speak from experience! It took me about 6 months from joining BADTri to actually going along to a swim session. I was convinced I was way too slow and that everyone there was über fit compared to my chunky frame! I couldn't have been more wrong, both the coaches and the other members were brilliant and I've really gained a lot over the past 12 months and I've dropped a LOT of weight. You'll also find Tri forums have a wealth of knowledge with plenty of members willing to help.
  • GsterGster Posts: 4
    This is my first post! Have been reading the forums with interest as I hit 40 last year and decided to take control of my life again after 14 years 'off' exercise!
    The result is a weight loss of 25stone down to 20 now since Jan 2012
    Completed my first Triathlon (almost 20yrs to the day form my last one) in May and been working hard running, swimming and cycling for the next one in September.

I loved the Glos Triathlon this year. I was the biggest guy there, but didn't come last, I enjoyed myself and was actually very humbled by the support and cheers I got from everyone on the day. It motivated me to do more and focus on my goals etc....

Always a place for the Clydesdales out there, but with all this running and biking, perhaps soon we will be a dying breed?
    The result is a weight loss of 25stone down to 20 now since Jan 2012
    You've lost 25 stone

Jesus that's a lot.

So you were 45 stone! Genuine question - how do you get to that weight in the first place. .

Great effort.
  • GsterGster Posts: 4
    My mistake....got to 25 stone through 'stopping what I used to do' (rugby and te gym pretty much 7 days a week from 14-25yrs) and started drinking heavily, styngnup late, impressing girls, Ibiza excesses, eating curry a few times a week and eating out a lot, sitting down a lot at work etc., and thinking the life of a sloathe was great.......another mistake!
    So 5 stone off and more to follow I'm sure. No going back to the old lifestyle now!
    Now losing weight, getting fit and spending what I used to drink on bikes and running gear!