Home Chat General Chat

Tips for London Triathlon, 11 days to go!

Hello everyone!

So I'm signed up for the London Triathlon and am still needing to rent a wet suit. Is it more necessary to have the full length one vs a shorter length suit?

Also needing to get the tri style suit...is this really necessary though? Or if I just wore my swimsuit and cycling shorts over (underneath the wet suit) would this be okay? That's how I've been training so I'm quite used to that. I am definitely trying to get a fairly good time so the transition I'd like to keep to a minimum.

And lastly, is there anywhere in London I can practice the outdoor swimming (non-pool) with my wetsuit prior to the race? (and does anyone want to go swim with me, or cycle, or run? As I've been doing all my training alone and it's getting a bit boring.)

Many thanks!

Comments

• AKAK Posts: 27
    I started a similar thread not so long ago and there's some good advice posted there on London Triathlon, see here: a-month-to-go-to-london-triathlon-t51707.html

Wetsuit Q: I *think* you can wear a shortie or surfing wetsuit (seem to remember something about it in the race brochure). Not sure about the weather next weekend, so can't vouch for what will work best. I've swum in my full-body suit all season so am going for that.

Tri-suit Q: You don't need to have a one-piece - as long as you're not naked underneath I think you should be good in whatever works for you.

OW swimming Q: Depends where in London you're based - if west or south west, I recommend Shepperton Lake (http://www.sheppertonopenwaterswim.co.uk/); if east or south east, Leybourne Lake is pretty good (http://www.leybournelakewatersports.co.uk/). Not sure about other areas.

Would be happy to go swimming with you (normally I go Saturday mornings), but will be out of the country this weekend, so can't help I'm afraid.

• AS FAR AS A TRI SUIT IS CONCERNED, IT IS PURELY PERSONAL CHOICE . EVERYONE SEEMS TO WEARONE INCLUDING MYSELF BUT IT CERTAINLY DOESN'T IMPROVE TIMES TO A NOTICEABLE DEGREE

FULL LENGTH WETSUIT ALL THE WAY. WILL HELP KEEP YOUR LEGS UP IN THE WATER.

GOOD LUCK...