Home Chat General Chat

Switching to compact crankset?

How many of you guys and gals are running a compact chainset on your tri bikes and what types of races are you doing? Im contemplating a change as it feels good on my road bike.

Comments

• Can't help I'm afraid

Running doubles on the roadie & TT
  • gavinpgavinp Posts: 168
    It depends on the type of races you want to do I suppose.

The purpose of a compact chainset is to offer a similar range of lower gear ratios (the ones that make it easy to climb) to a triple chainset but without the added weight of a third ring/triple shifters etc. So if you are going to do some races with seriously big hills (i.e. mountain climbs) then why not... but then why would you if you already have your road bike set up for hills? Keep your TT bike setup for flatter races. It'll still be able to cope with undulating hills. Just an idea

Your call at end of the day, and it's not like you can't change back if you change your mind
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    You make a good point!

I'd just read that having a compact with a 11-23 is essentially the same top speed as a Std with a 12-25, and gives you more on the hills too. Sounded like a winning combo, but now Im not sure..
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I am a big Compact fan
    Unless you cam stay in a 53/11 for long periods you will find that you will mainly be pulling 53/12. A 50/11 is a bigger gear than a 53/12.

A Standard has a 53 or 52 outer and generally a 39 inner but you can get a 42 or a 38
    A Compact is generally a 50 outer but I also have a 52. I also have 39, 36 and 34 so oodles of flexibility
    Compact has a lower rotational mass

If you are young, injury free than you may want to persevere with a Standard but frankly I think the Compact is a great set up. Get some hill training in with the outer ring, you can always fit a 52 compact . If you have an injury then a Compact with a slightly higher cadence is less stressful.
    gearing-triple-double-or-compact-t47459-10.html
    Also crank length is important,
    post79391.html?hilit=crank%20length#p79391

Hope that helps
  • I went from Tripple to compact didnt notice the overal speed distance but did notice i wasnt messing with gears as much.
  • I have a full shimano 105 compact groupset for sale..... only used for 100miles, had it on my new bike I bought (Cannondale Super Six) I wanted the bike and they only sell it with a compact. I have since put my Sram Red groupset on it. might as well say its brand new.
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    Good reply from gavinp. Thats what I do.

I put a compact crankset (50/34)and carbon clip ons on my road bike for Ironman France a few years back, intended to swap back but really liked the set up so still have it on now.

Did Ballbuster Duathlon last year and used the compact/road set up for that, perfect.

I use 53/39 on my TT bike.

Ive never noticed any difference in running off either of the bikes.