Home Chat General Chat

Ironman Training / tips

I'm doing my first race in Austria and it is starting to hit home how difficult this is going to be I've had a few tips from people but does anyone have any race day tips that would only be known by people that have done one before ?

Any help would taken as I'm starting to Bric it a little (did you see what I did there) ?

Comments

• I can't claim to have done an IM, just a 1/2 IM, so respect to you. Hopefully my few tips will still apply.
    Firstly, don't do anything on race day you don't do in training - no new shoes, same nutrition, etc. I foolishly omitted socks on my bike leg on race day, and ended up with a blister when I got off my bike. The point being, you are training your body in every way for the conditions you are putting it under. So plan what you want to do on race day, and copy it in training.
    Secondly, don't go off too quick. Pace yourself. I'm sure your objective is more about finishing than an elite time, so reflect that and don't thrash off in the swim. Unless you are a super confident swimmer, let all the rest leave, then start at the back of the field. You will overtake the slow ones.
    Thirdly, nutrition. You will be going for a long time, so plan your day and make sure you have enough. Two bottles on your bike, stick gels on your top tube, have a fresh supply of gels to pick up for your run, probably a bottle too which can have a quick drink from then throw away.
    Most of all, enjoy it, and get what you can from the crowd. The best way to do this is have your name printed on your top - people will shout 'Come on John'. It makes a big difference.
    Good luck
  • Cordell21Cordell21 Posts: 6
    Backtothecaves has given you good tips you should follow that and i believe that it will defiantly help you.
    He have mentioned good things,All the stuff is useful you should be careful about these things that will defiantly help you.
  • Cordell21Cordell21 Posts: 6
    Backtothecaves has given you good tips you should follow that and i believe that it will defiantly help you.
    He have mentioned good things,All the stuff is useful you should be careful about these things that will defiantly help you.