Home Chat General Chat

unnatural fear?

Hi I'm have been training steadily towards my triathlon which I'm really looking forward to. Problem is every time I think about the transitions I become extremely nervous. As its my first tri I'm setting modest goals time wise etc but like I say am worried about transitions are they fairly explained on the day by the briefing? Is there any race etiquette I should adhere to?

Comments

• MacaroneMacarone Posts: 58
    Unless you're expecting to win or trying to qualify for something, then just relax and treat the whole thing as a learning experience and more importantly 'fun'. Everyone makes mistakes, even the pros so don't worry about it. There's always a race briefing explaining where to go during T1 and T2, and unless you're at the very front, there's usually plenty of people to follow, it's pretty obvious. There will also be marshalls to help, although it is your responsibility to know the course so just bear that in mind. Enjoy, don't stress, it's meant to be enjoyable!
  • MacaroneMacarone Posts: 58
    In terms of race etiquette, during the swim section, if you don't want to be right in the mix, then stick to the sides, after a few hundred metres, it'll soon thin out. The buoys are always fun especially if you have to turn around, as they can get a little congested and you might get knocked about. Again, if you want out then stick to the sides. Make sure you put your helmet on before you unrack the bike in T1 (likewise, rack the bike before you take your helmet off in T2). Shout 'ON THE LEFT' etc if you're over taking someone closely either on the bike or running. No drafting on the bike, even if there aren't marshalls around, I think it's bad form although plenty of people do it. And most importantly, don't litter, if you are using gels or anything else, carry the litter with you.

Hope that helps - which race are you doing?
  • Macarone's advice is good. The only things I would add are
    - practice transitions at home as much as possible. This might mean covering yourself in water, then simulating the transition to bike, running with your bike (helmet on) to a 'line', after which you can mount your bike. Then do a bike to run - unclip or take feet out of shoes, then run to where your shoes are with bike, put shoes on, pick up any food or drinks, then run.
    - Don't rush it. Take it slowly on your first one
    - Put something in your transition area which will calm you down - it could be a cloth with some lavendar scent on or a picture of a loved one. Nothing valuable though
    - You try the technique where you picture a tranquil scene to calm your nerves. I've never used this, but apparently it works.

There are lots of things in triathlon which can surprise you. Expect all sorts of things to happen. treat it as a learning experience, and enjoy it. It's a really fun event. Let us all know how it went.