Home Chat General Chat

Training Overview

I am planning on doing some Sprint Triathlons next year, I have 2 and a half hours a day for six days a week available to train. I am a beginner triathlete (did 1 this year) with at best moderate ability in each discipline (eg. Run 5k in 23:20; Cycle 20k in 35 mins). 41 years old, father of 3. [Up till now haven't had a lot of time to train so have been running about 12 miles a week and doing one or two 30k bike rides.] Now I have so much more time to train, not quite sure how best to use it.

I'm wondering whether to do one very gentle activity first for say 45 mins then a harder session eg. intervals running. So the week might look like this:
Mon: Easy Swim/Strength training
Tue: Cycle 40k
Wed: Easy Run/Swim intervals
Thu: Cycle 10k/Run 5k tempo or intervals
Fri: Easy swim/Strength training
Sat: rest
Sun: Long run

Does that look plausible?

Comments

• As with most triathletes (me included) you haven't left enough rest time in your routine. If you carry on like that you will find sooner or later you get an unexplained injury. Put at least one more rest day in. The other thing I would say is you have no core work in there (unless that is what you mean by strength training). You should spend 10 mins per day doing some sort of core strength routine. Look up Sean Vigue on Youtube if you have never done any before. He does various length routines and they should suit you fine.
    The balance looks reasonable, but only you will know that based on your abilities.
  • gavinpgavinp Posts: 168
    Hi
    Are you planning on being competitive next year (Age Grouper)? if not, and you are planning on just enjoying yourself with some fun events, you can train on half the hours you have going spare. Too much will lead to injury as already stated.

Also, if you aren't racing until next year then I suggest joining a club now to get your swim technique sorted and have some fun with like minded people. Or (if you're serious about your training and want to become a good age grouper) get yourself a coach who will create a realistic plan for you closer to your races (race specific training doesn't need to start until around 12-15 weeks before the actual race). Regardless, base training through the winter is a must to give your body a basic fitness before pushing harder. Strength and conditioning is a must for the winter so have lots of fun with that.

Have fun!
  • Thanks for the advice, I will take it down to four days a week for a few months. Also looking into the coaching options, escpecially on swimming.

I aiming for fun, but would be hoping to be creditably competitive within a couple of years.