Home Chat General Chat

hello all, please stand and be counted.

Comments

• guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    Hi there everyone my names Neil just starting at tri so I'm in the keen phase at the moment. Don't know what drew me to Tri as I only have a background in running haven't been swimming for years and last time I rode a bike it was across Sardinia and I swore I'd never do it again. Well only time will tell hope to be racing within a month.
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    Hi I'm Bruce

Likewise I'm new to all of this, basically I got fed up of having to splash out on new trousers to fit my rapidly expanding waist line (at 26 it wasn't a healthy place to be in). I come from a Rugby and Athletics (field as I hated running distance...), I'm currently working as a Systems Analyst down near Gatwick which means all day is spent on my backside at a desk or in meetings and the sedantry lifestyle wass literally killing me.

So far I've done one duathlon and had a two week training course out in sunny Lanza (well worth checking out Robin Brews site) as I wanted to start of with as few bad habits as possible and find out just what I was getting into. I've got about 6 events planned in the South East and the London Tri. Pretty much went in at the deep end really [:D] I'll be breaking my Tri virginity in at the Sevenoaks Sprint later this month.

Cheers

Bruce
  • DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    While you are losing your virginity at Sevenoaks i shall be doing the same just slightly further south at Steyning.

Good luck

David
    I looked at Steyning just before I joined Crawley Tri, ended up at Sevenoakes as a few other members were trying it, but best of luck with it!
  • jimhop51jimhop51 Posts: 22
    Hi all! My names Jim in 30 years old and currently working and living in Birmingham. Im a medic in the Navy and I'm pretty new to all this. I did my first sprint Tri last July and have done a couple since. Having my first race of this season next sunday at womborne in the West Mids which is again a sprint. Will be happy with a 1h 15min. Booked in to do the Half Ironman in June which im going to do for charity so not really bothered about a good time just want to finish!

Pretty average at all three events but have to admit I hate the running! Off to the south of France in two weeks to practice my open water swimming.

Currently struggling with a niggly knee (medical term!) which i think may be due to the bike so Ive just bought some new speedplay peddles which im hoping will arrive in the post soon!

Look forward to hearing form you all.
  • 3speed3speed Posts: 16
    hi everyone,

I'm andrew, live in llantrisant near cardiff.

I've just started this tri business and i hav'nt been so hyped for years!- Even though I'm the wrong side of 40!

I come from a swimming background with a bit of off road running thrown in - can't cycle very well though.....

Entered 1 at the moment (may) with 2 in the pipeline for june and july.

Don't usually partake in forums but after reading the informative posts on here for a few weeks thought I should partake.
  • Hi

I'm Cat, 25, and also in Cardiff, my first triathalon is also in May (possibly the same one as Andrew) as my login name suggests I come from a swimming background. I am trying to go running a couple of times a week and have been out on the bike once or twice (eek - running out of time to get the cycling sorted out!). Essentially I started triathalon by doing open water swims with the Cardiff triathletes last summer, then switched from my swimming club to swim training with them, then someone talked me into this try-a-tri thing (my mum still can't understand that she doesn't need to sponser me to do this, I am actually doing it for fun!).

I am planning on doing this season on a mountain bike and will think about upgrading next year if I get hooked. I have however given in to buying a wetsuit as I enjoy swimming in the sea anyway and I have somehow signed myself up for another sprint triathalon in June that has an open water swim.

For Andrew, if you want to get inolved with the Cardiff triathletes, their website is www.cardifftri.net and they are a very helpful bunch (someone has already jogged round the run part of the try a tri course with me to prove to me that I could do it).
  • funkydbmtbfunkydbmtb Posts: 3
    Hi every one my name is Duncan from Somerset.

i'm in my 3rd tri season having come from a running background with some mountain biking and rock climbing thrown in to boot!

I have only raced sprint and duathlon distances to date but hope to complete my 1st olympic distance event this year and progress to half iron man next year.

I'm 25 soon to be 26 and work in a gym and also am a sports therapist.

I'm a member of SOmerset RC Tri who have over 80 members and 2 level 2 coaches.

Hope everyones season is going well, mine started may 14th, with 3 minutes of my PB and finished 21st! bring it on, was so pleased i treated myself to new pair of tri bike shoes

Everyone be safe and have a good one!

Duncan
  • LegacyUserLegacyUser Posts: 0
    Amanda from Hampshire and got into this to try and work off the depression/stress of an office based job! Also fast approaching the big 40! Going for my first novice tri at Eton in June. Starting small as I had a back injury for 6 months and don't want to end up crippled again. Loving it and feeling fitter by the week, now looking at entering a sprint tri later in the year.
  • milnercraigmilnercraig Posts: 36
    Greeting all,

I'm Craig, 37, and live in Harrogate, North Yorks. I completed my first couple of sprint events this year (Skipton & Tadcaster), averaging 1:30 which I was pretty pleased with. I got into Triathlon just because I needed a reason to get to the gym more - simple as that really - and by setting myself a target I was more likely to stick to the plan. Having a bit of a break at the moment, following the two events but should be back into it next week raring to go again.

The swim is the bit I enjoy the most (all in the pool as I haven't plucked up the open water courage yet) and I find the run okay. The bike I find tough at the moment but with the better weather should come better training and hence better perfomance. Riding a Trek 1500 at the moment.

Really liked Brad Kearn's book "Breakthough Triathlon Training" for putting things in perspective and reminding me to enjoy the whole thing.

Biggest weakness - will power and food - I could do with losing a few pounds but I can't seem to get past the snacks and cakes!!

• Hi all, great to read about so many people from all walks of life...

I'm Graham I'm 32 from London, originally a swimmer and surfer and mountain biker. Took up triathlon last year (London Olympic) and I've just completed the Blenheim palace one last weekend. I have the Windsor and London ones to go....

I do triathlons because it livens up our generally mundane adult lives....

I love the fact that during the cycle you are generally thinking " I hate this, I hate this" yet 2 hours after finishing you are thinking "i Love this, I love this" - how do you work that one out ??

I love the fact that my fiance accuses all triathletes thinking of themselves as a little bit special and if we meet other triathletes there is a type of 'brotherhood', I deny this to her, but secretly I know.....

I love the fact that other folk think we are mad...

Keep it up !!

• trisitrisi Posts: 13
    Hi all! I'm Simon from Stamford, Lincs - aged 36. This is my second season of triathlon after entering 3 local sprints last year. I also done the Eastend to Southend bike ride, the 3 peaks, and a 24hr challenge ccross the Pennines, so had to train slightly different for those.

I used to cycle competitively when I was a junior, and my crowning glory was getting through to the national finals for the George Herbert Stanster event. Got thrashed, but it's the taking part, isn't it?!! Over the years I've kept in shape with running and tried a few martial arts (Kick boxing, Shotokan, Thai boxing), but as I'm getting older I've started to concentrate on endurance events. This year I'm solely concentrating on tri training and hope to improve my swim time.

My worst discipline is swimming, however I recently swam a mile in the pool and it felt OK - even though it took 45 mins! Must book lessons soon (been saying that for a year!). Looking at some of the sprint times that won the last few events I've entered, I wouldn't say that I have a strong discipline - but I get by.

I'm looking forward to train up to Olympic distance for next season, after the experience of my first open water swim in Bude later this year. I'll feel that I'll have earned my stripes once I've completed Olympic distance.

Great to read all about everyone else - I hope I can post some worthy advice soon.
  • magestmagest Posts: 5
    Hello all.

I'm Mark from Brighton where I live and try to balance work/family with triathlon and martial arts training!

Like many triathletes, I come from a running background and feel as though my swimming it my worst discipline. I'm currently training hard and getting to the pool for a minumum of four sessions per week. I get my biking exercise on the way to and from work and luckily seem to be able to run without without too much training. I also do three sessions of tai chi/kung fu per week which gives a lot to my all round health and fitness (mental as well as physical).

I've always kept pretty fit and healthy and done lots of 10k and half marathon running but maybe it's because I'm 30 this year I've decided to push myself a bit more! I've got a busy summer ahead and I'm starting to get excited/nervous about doing two aquathlons in Worthing, the London triathlon (sprint), the South Coast triathlon in Seaford and the Late Summer Triathlon in Crawley.

I'm just waiting for my bike/wetsuit/tri-suit to arrive that I have bought through TriUK. Then I'll up the tempo and enjoy an athletic summer, hopefully the first of many.....

What alot of excitment a bike & wetsuit coming did you buy a package from triuk or are they separates. I wish I was expecting a new bike.
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    did i mention my new bike is nearly ready ........
    You did now, how long??
    fingers crossed this weekend .... its sooo exciting a brand new bike .. in prostitute red !!!!
  • sba_dcgssba_dcgs Posts: 6
    Hi alll, I'm Simon, a 24 year old ICT Teacher / Network Manager (geek) from Bucks. I did a sprint and a supersprint last year and got hooked. In a fit of enthusiasm I entered a whole pile of events this year, but a decent performance London is the big aim (i.e. getting round and not dying!)

madnurse, I've been staring at pictures of K-factors for the last couple of days having read about them in one of the other threads. I have to say I'm very jealous ;) I'd love one of those, or a Quintana Roo Caliente. Sadly, it's not to be...

Oh, and if anyone is considering getting an all-in-one tri suit, I'd definitely recommend it - it cut down my transition times by a vast amount.
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    to all the recent additions to the board welcome... not every one on here is mad but it helps...plus I have managed to get loads of top tips from the "pros"
  • magestmagest Posts: 5
    Hi Guv001,

I went for the £500 package from TriUK. Time is running out for me to shop for everything individually and as it's my first year in triathlon I didn't want to break the bank!

Yes, very exciting - can't wait to put that tri-suit on!

hmmmm shiny lycra suit....

Felt very weird first time I wore mine, but some how right. May be its a fetish thing...
    All I can remember is my wifes giggles as I showed her my trisuit for the first time. Not good for confidence.
  • RewRew Posts: 62
    Hello all I'm Rew. (andREW) I'm 6'2" 15.5 stone and from Billericay Essex. Been doing tri for 5 years this year all thanks to my cousin who sponsored a local race and entered me in to it as well.

He has since packed in but I'm still going.

Started in sprints, moved to my first olympic last year at London. Have done Blenheim this summer (if you can call it that yet) and still have Windsor and London olympic to do this year.

Just retired from Rugby after 17 years (4th delayed concussion and 16 hours in hospital without a clue of what was going on) Funny enough I now prefer the non contact sport of triathlon... although I do like the mass start of an open water swim
  • trichamptrichamp Posts: 22
    Hi all, I'm trichamp from little old Pembrokeshire. I'm 16 and this is only my second year in triathlon.

I've done three races this year with very mixed fortunes! Won the Cardiff Aquathlon, 2nd in Club Champs but got smashed up on the bike at the British Champs in Llanelli 2 weeks ago! Ouch!!!

Luke
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Hi Rew,

I was Stowmarket Rugby Captain for 2 years running, and I think they are expecting me to do it this year also. But hey I have a wee shock that I am taking triathlon up again lol.

May have bumped into you a some point. Small world eh.

rugby's for girls anyhow .... good for you Jason ... avoids all that back slapping in the communal bath .. all a little suspect to me ( I used to be a conditioning coach for a few teams in my time) great bunch of lads but odd as anything ..... give me something normal like a traithlon

madnurse
  • RewRew Posts: 62
    were as odd as anything madnurse.....and now we do triathlon......
  • Hi all,

New to the forum and came across this page whilst having a 4 minute break.

Looks like this is the page where we introduce ourselves...if not sorry.

My name is Justin and I come from Staines. Have been out of triathlon for 8 years due to family commitments and starting my own business, but have come back with a bang. Noticed I was getting fat and started swimming again next thing was riding to the pool and before I knew it was taking the odd run in the evening. Now back to pretty much normal training but have no intetion of racing this year, then again saying that I might enter a few sprints.

Anyway great bunch you guys and so far the advice I have been getting is great.

Yours in Triathlon

Justin (happygilmore)

• WellaWella Posts: 188
    Hi there.

Put in a few posts already but here's an introduction anyway.

My names Sam (nickname wella), I'm 30 and I live in Broxbourne in Hertfordshire. Married with young kids I needed a sport that didn't take up too much time!

Been fairly active thorughout adult life playing football and then 3 years ago started playing Rugby for Cheshunt RFC. As these sports went hand in hand with the social side of things my fondness for beer resulted in me being completly out of condition and overweight. With some gut related health issues thrown into the pot I decided to sort myself out.

A year later i've lost 2 1/2 stone and I feel fitter than ever. I'd always admired triathlon, watching the Olympics etc and when I saw the Ironman UK coverage last year I decided that this year I would enter one.

I've signed up for the St. Albans Triathlon on 2nd July and the Spalding Tri on the 9th July, both sprint distance.

8 weeks into full training and I love it. Good to have others to discuss it with as well as my mates and workmates just think I'm insane.

Wella
  • PC67PC67 Posts: 101
    Peter, nearly 39, Dubliner living in London.

Relative, but not absolute, rookie.

Cycle 14 miles a day (7 miles to work & back) and after a year I was amazed at how well it had prepared me for longer cycles which I don't do as often as I'd like. I often take in the tough climb up to Hampstead on the way home to get strength into my legs.

I've 2 very young kids so training time is scarce. During April & May I started running home twice a week having done each of the Mornington Chasers' Regents Park 10k's during the winter.

Poor swimmer (30-35 seconds for a length of a 25m pool is my usual) but took lessons from a local company in NW London & my technique is now miles better than my first (and only) full triathlon in '98 when I was last out of the water on 47 mins! Stamina in the pool still isn't great, but hoping mind over matter will see me through.

Target for Royal Windsor on Sunday is 2:45, 2:50 area but it's anyone's guess really.