Home Chat General Chat

Fore and aft seat position

jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
Hi folks

As some of you might know I bought a bike on ebay and its a tad on the big side.

Do any of you know if I can turn the seat post round so that the set back is actually a set forward. Obviously I won't be able to alter the seat angle but I'm ok with that as long as the seat's horizontal!

Any advice gratefully received

Jaz

Comments

• guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    Could you not buy a short handlebar stem and push your seat fully forward in its mount. As for your seat post idea I have no clue if this would work. I do know however that riding an oversized bike will cause injury most likely backache from stretching, this stretching also restricts your chest so causes problems with breathing. Hope this helps.
  • plingbootplingboot Posts: 19
    ssssss… (sucks air through teeth in a dodgy car mechanic type way).

You can turn the seat pin around, or buy a forward facing one (think profile do one), but you need to be carful that you don't end up over loading the front end when you're on the tri bars.

That sort of lark isn't really to compensate for a badly fitting frame, more a position shift on one that fits.

If the bike is really too big you might be flogging a dead horse, in which case, if the groupset is half decent, strip the frame bare, buy a frame that fits and put those bits on it.

Before you put your fingers in your ears and start shouting "la la not listening", please don't rush out and do any long rides on a bike which doesn't fit you - you'll regret it later.

• madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    HI JAz

been there with that dilema myself...most bikes wil allow the seatpost to be swivelled through 180 degrees - the problem you may encounter is with the angle of the seat once you have done this - I found I didnt have enough adjustment on the pitch of the saddle. One solution is get a 'fast forward' seat post

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Profile-Fast-forward-time-trial-seat-post-27-2mm-dia_W0QQitemZ7240859346QQcategoryZ22693QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this will enable you to postion the seat further forward without rotating the seat post

Although I didnt choose that option - I buying a tri specific frame which will be a good fit from new

PLingboot aint all wrong

madnurse (phil)
  • jazdogjazdog Posts: 223

Sigh.... [:)]I know you're all right but I need a short term solution to a minor problem. I've done two hour rides on it with no problems and am not planning on training for an oly this season anyway.

Thanks for the commments and the links .. I didn't know you could get forward posts. Cheers for the link Mad![;)]

Jaz