Home Chat General Chat

Bike knee problem

Hello all.

I've been getting some pain in the back of my knees when I've been cycling long-ish distances (over 50 miles). It's restricted to just the back of the knees and it doesn't really affect my running so it's not really concerned me that much but I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem. My bike was set up by a really good bike shop for me and I do a lot of stretching too, I'm just concerned it may cause some long-term trouble.

Thanks for any advice.

Glenn.

Comments

• madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    HI Glenn

Am getting similar in my left knee which also oddly disappears once through tranistion onto the run. There a number of possible casual factors

overtraining - are you simply hammering the bike maybe increasing distance or effort to quickly

injuries - maybe carrying an old injury that the bike causes reoccurance

bike setup - dont know how long you have had your bike but if fairly new or you have it set up diferently it may be just a case of you adapting to the new setup. saddle height - what is your reach like when you leg is at 6 o'oclock on the pedal ? you may still be overreaching (even marginally). are you aware of any pelvic wobble as you pedal (do your hips rise n fall) if so you are probably stretching through the knee to compensate & need to drop you saddle a touch. Make a note of the height now. & the adjustment and see how it fares for a few weeks. If you cannot get your heel lower than the ball of the foot at that 6 'oclock postion then for sure the saddle is just too high.

Long shot but are your legs the same length ? this can also cause the above too some extent if they arent.

Check your cleats and see if you have even position and float. Again look to see whereabouts the cleats place the ball of the foot in relation to the peal.

am still looking into mine - although it appears i was sold a carbon seat post with a slight fault in it which means i cant drop it the last 5 - 10 mm i need for my ideal position.

once you have pinpoint ed the cause ony then start to increase the distance and loading on the bike - one of them annoying things is having to work with not against an innjury

madnurse (phil)
  • Hi Phil. Thanks for all the advice re:setup. I think you may be right about dropping the saddle to be honest. It's been a little hard to pinpoint the exact cause 'cos, like I say, I only notice the pain once I've gone over about 50 miles or so but I think I am sat a wee bit too high. I do have an old injury in my (L)knee but I'm getting it in both. Thanks once again for the comprehensive advice.
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    glad to help

madnurse (phil) [:D]