Home Chat General Chat

Wimbleball Bike Route

13»

Comments

• Tim DTim D Posts: 64
    I had a combination of energy gels and malt loaf. For long training periods and races (over 2 hours) I try and eat/drink simple carbs of some sort about every hour. Obviously plenty of water at all times. I get through about 2 large bottles during a 55-60 mile cycle. If v hot more. The malt loaf thing is just that I like something to chew on. More satisfying.

Hope thats of some use. Have been told that surviving the run is all about getting the nutrition right on the bike. Gonna find out in 2 weeks in the Hayle middle distance.

• rollorollo Posts: 25
    I'll be doing the cycle route tomorrow afternoon ..... if anyone is around, I'm the gawky fellow on a Trek, please say hello.!!!
    So I crashed into a hedge at 32mph and got total freeked by the hills on the cycle route...... flippin heck this is going to be a tough!!!!

Stayed at a great B&B right next to the lake. Alas its fully booked, by the organisers, for race day. I will have to get my arse back down to the course to attack the cycle route again. The run is not tooo bad, although pray for no rain, otherwise I suggest you take wellies instead of your trainers. OK cell phone reception is crap!

Here are some pictures of the cycle, lake and run course.

www.rollings.info/wimbleball/wimbleball.html

PS: If anyone is planning on heading down to Wimbleball for another training session in the next couple of weeks and wouldn't mind if I tagged along, please give me a shout. (I'm south of Oxford with Renault Espace, so would be happy to drive!!!!)
  • MarcMarc Posts: 1
    Hi Rollo,

new to the forum but been keeping up with events over the last week or so, great pics, looks like a tough bike course...

May well be interested in a recce of the course before June, time permitting. I'm in Herts so Oxford isn't that far, when were you thinking of going?
  • RobRob Posts: 209
    Hey Rollo, glad you 'enjoyed' the experience! Where did you come off? Hope you didn't injure yourself? Looking at your photo's brought back memories, & sent shivers down the spine. I saw that B&B by the lake back in Dec but it was already booked back then. Like you say phone reception is virtually nil. I'd love to do it again but the schedule doesn't permit. Did you do the full course, what sort of time?

Pacrfish, my nutrition is going to consist of a breakfast (probably porridge) at around 0300, then it'll be gels & carb drink for the ride. I'm going to start taking drink on board as soon as I get on the bike, then start the gels when I get up the first hill to the B3224 & keep them going round the whole route. I don't do solids (powerbars) when I'm racing.

Cheers
  • pacrfishpacrfish Posts: 266
    Rollo - pics are great - just like reliving a horror movie ... and I'm so pleased someone else thinks it's tough!

Fastest time I've heard of so far for the full bike leg is 3hrs 27. Anyone beaten that?

Rob - do you drink water on the bike as well? Any tips on how to eat gels on the bike - I just get in a sticky mess and have to slow right down.

• Little LesLittle Les Posts: 6
    Only found out about this forum recently (thanks Rob). Some very useful info from people on here re: the bike course.

Rob, just read your post about getting up at 3am and thought that seems a bit early but just realised that is the time we will have to get up! Why are triathlons so early?!

I am hoping to go down to cycle the bike course in a couple of weeks time. I've driven round it so have a bit of an idea what to expect.

Nutrition for me is going to be powerbars and water or maybe some lucozade sport. Still getting used to eating on the go.

First open water tri this Sunday, bit nervous but looking forward to it.

Less than 6 weeks til the half ironman eeek!!![8|]
    Pacrfish - I've got a gel bottle that attaches to my crossbar, but you could just stuff a gel bottle in a back pocket. They have a top like a water bottle so you get all the goodness without the mess. A small gel bottle will hold around four gel sachets. Then just pick your poison to fill it up with - gopping chocolate or tasty fruit.

Hi Little Les - welcome to the forum. Yep, a 3.00am rise for brekkie, race starts at 6.00am. Nobody mentions the fifth discipline - getting up at stupid o'clock!
    Where are you folks staying Saturday night, I was contemplating sleeping in my car onsite if that's possible!!!!!

• Tim DTim D Posts: 64
    I am staying in the Yarn Market Hotel in Dunster. Its about 30 mins away from the lake, but I figure I am up early enough anyway thats not really a problem.

I'm staying in a B&B near Tiverton. Staying over Sat & Sun night. Good luck to you if you're sleeping in your car! Haven't you got a tent?
  • pacrfishpacrfish Posts: 266
    We're staying at Knowle Manor - a Riding School in Timberscombe on the road north to Dunster. Very faded glory, but apparently they treat the horses much better that they do the guests!

Have now managed to get my justgiving.com pages up and running. If you want to help get me up those hills the links are:

[color=#666600]www.justgiving.com/patcooke-rogerscancer[/color]

[color=#666600]www.justgiving.com/patcooke-rogersheart[/color]

Just don't laugh at the photos!

And a question for those who have seen the run route - trail shoes or trainers ????

Thanks guys

Pacrfish, with the run, I'll take trail shoes & lighter racing shoes & make a decision the day before once I've had a chance to suss out the run course & see what condition it's in.
  • GallantryGallantry Posts: 38
    OH I've just found this forum....

I've not even biked the bike course... obviously I'm bricking it[:o]

What gears are you going for?!

Panic is setting in!![:-]