Home Chat General Chat

Lazy left arm

I noticed this morning swimming (I have noticed it before) that before my left arm starts pulling through the water it just sorta sinks...

Obviously this is due to a defective stroke and my left arm being weaker than my right (no sniggering at the back) any tips of helping my left arm do its fair share of the work?

I was thinking of using just one paddle on my left arm to strengthen the muscles in this arm while "leaving behind" my right until my left is stronger.

Comments

• JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Why not try doing the 'pull though'. Where you only use one arm to do the crawl. Remembering to do alternative arms of course lol.

So do one or two laps using one arm, then swap over.

• DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    Loon - Is your left hand entering at the same angle as your right? Perhaps you're not getting the Catch andf therefore slicing through the water rather than pulling yourself over that fixed point.

David
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    JasonB - I will give one arm stuff a whirl...

DoTri...I am sure the angle is the same as when I am not tired I am pull over the fixed point fine...

I think the problem I have is that I am allowing it to sink when tired while it is waiting for my right arm to recover (trying to swim tall and all that) so by the time I come to put presure on my left arm the catch is lost...does that make any sense?

I think therefore its weakness in the arm/my discipline that is allowing this sinking...

obviously this could be corrected probably if you could see me swim in a nano second...its not affecting the distance I can swim and lord knows I have other technique issues but one at a time eh?

• fatmattfatmatt Posts: 145
    mine does this too, it's gebnerally when i'm tired and resort to breathing every stroke on the right side, maybe this is it for you too, it just takes a little while to get the head back to the straight position and the hand drops, what i do is just slow down a little and breathe every 3 strokes and just think a bit harder about the stroke.
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    yeah it mainly happens when I goto breathing every stroke on the left side - which only really happens when I get tired...

So I guess I am back to trying to strengthen my left side so it tires less fast (slower for the english teachers out there) than my right.. and slowing down so I can get my stroke back together...