Home Chat General Chat

UK Half Ironman

2»

Comments

• joBidjoBid Posts: 16
    Felt Jet lagged since Tuesday ???!!!
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    HI PAt .. (& anyone else who fancy's a large slice of fun)

so I was just wondering if i come and do wimbleball (which i will) .. do you, maybe, fancy going a little longer later in the year as well so to speak ... using one as prep for the other .. sounds like a option .... what d'you think ??? is that a yes sign me up now or a simply sod it am packing my wewtsuit now and camping out for a full seasons training down there right now

just thought i'd ask ... like you do

mad as ..... "a bucket of frogs" [:D]
  • Hi Guys

Sorry for the delay in getting on here, been working away again! Well done everyone, some excellent results.

Pacrfish, shame I missed you in briefing. Well done for a good result.

I'm ever so pleased to say I finished it! 8 hrs 04 minutes. Quite a bit slower than most but just to finish was my goal and I'm over the moon.

The swim was traumatic and horrible, glad to get through it. Got bad cramp half way which ached for the rest of the race.

That bike course, good God! 14% hill, it was hard enough pushing my bike up it! The descents were pretty awesome too!

Loved the run cos when I got there I knew for the first time I could finish. Running is my thing so, although slower than usual ran ok and enjoyed it.

Awesome course throughout whole event, spectacular scenery and brilliant support from marshals, friends and fellow competitors. What an experience! I cried so many times before, during and after!

I said never again but I'm starting to sway, maybe just next year.....
  • CenzoCenzo Posts: 91
    Les,

Having read your post, I'm sure I'll see you there next year!
  • pacrfishpacrfish Posts: 266
    madnurse - you are mad!!

Definitely up for Wimbleball next year - I have to do it properly.... (some competitive spirit emerging here I think - a very alien concept for me!!).

But I need another year before going long. It's alright for you youngsters - I'm 50 in 6 weeks (yipee - big party planned!!) and the body just won't take it.

So I'm up for Wimbleball 2007 (and maybe Vitruvian), then Sherborne 2008 (the husband has agreed!!).

But I will come down to Sherborne 2007 and support you all - so go for it oh mad ones!
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    pacrfish...I am definately in you camp there...its hard keeping up with the nurses ;)

Gonna do Wimbleball next year and Helvellyn (I think mad might hunt me down like a dog if I don't) I have even done nexts years training phases already based on this..

Then if I get permission to do Sherbourne or another full monty (I am sure it will be easier to try for lanzorote in terms of persauding) in 2008

so go for it oh mad ones!

we are all mad just some are given better drugs when sleeping by their partners ;)

• guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    Mad you are obviously spending too much time on Tritalk and have now been drawn into the Ironman world.
  • jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D] We're just not competitive enough for him obviously! [;)][;)][:D][:D]
    a 1/2 IM was always on the cards .... much to begrudging of Mrs Madnurse

going longer just seems to follow on I guess...

madnurse
    for the loon & anyonelse who mght have an inkling to go a little further next season .....

http://half.ironmanuk.com/default.asp?PageID=4370

regards

madnurse
  • Tim DTim D Posts: 64
    Going long is the only logical step now so I'm definitely up for it. I'm kinda wishing that I had prepared for it this year now as can't wait. Problem is where do these logical steps stop? Decaironman???
    lets not get into 3 dimensional chess stuff like thinking .. just one step at a time and go with the flow seems to work fine for now ... deca indeed (maybe 2008 ..... splutters)

madnurse phil
  • joBidjoBid Posts: 16
    Come join us East Essex girlie's in 2008 for Austria.

Who mentioned Lanzarote??? Mad???

Seriously, I was part of the support crew and met many novices at Lanzarote and was very aware of the large number of DNF.And the state of those that DNF

Hubby has finished Austria and Lanzarote, and doing Switzerland this weekend.

Lanzarote is the Daddy of all full distance and I think you really should have another one under your belt before that !

2008 come on down!
    I was browsing the IM website last night, Sherborne 2007 for my debut, then I fancy Frankfurt or Austria 2008 (if the missus will let me!)
  • WellaWella Posts: 188
    Well said.

I watched the TV coverage of Lanzorate last night, I'd recorded it from last week.

Now that looked tough so hats of to anyone who's completed it. Particularly the guy who was paralysed from the chest down and still finished in 14 hours. His swim was only 7 mins slower then the able bodied athletes.

Inspired me for the weekend.
    Registered interest... wife will kill me... if half im doesn't get me first![:D][:D]
    Your request was successfully processed.

Jaz - can we have a joint funeral

joBid - Lanzorote was me - I reckon best chance to not being killed is to offer a cracking holiday as competation for putting up with my lunacy... however I was un aware of the "daddy" status may reconsider ;)

loonytoon wrote:

Lanzorote was me - I reckon best chance to not being killed is to offer a cracking holiday as competation for putting up with my lunacy... however I was un aware of the "daddy" status may reconsider ;)

never offer anything without having done your research Loon ... talk about selling your soul to the devil. Mrs Loon will expect you to do the world series races rather than the odd sprint so she can top up her tan in places like Koh sumai, Lanzarote and the rest....

ps congrats on your interest in wimbleball..we have it in writing as PArcfish would say.. see you there

mad
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    I'm in for absolutely anything (depending on the wife giving her permmission)
    wise word nursey...thankly as its 2 years away I hadn't actually mentioned it to her so I am so far safe...

Austria is nice isn't?

I'm in for absolutely anything (depending on the wife giving her permmission)

Easy guv it aint that sorta forum

[:D][:D][:D] Nice one guv!
    i guess that the forum either has to move with the times or sink into the past .... if guv n the loon wish to set up a 220 bdsm subforum then good luck to them ... not sure what format their tri suits will take ... scary thinking about it ... suddenly a 1/2 IM seems relative placid compared to potential of a sub forum with those two at the helm ..

maybe its just a phase their are going through ....

madnurse

• pacrfishpacrfish Posts: 266
    It's their age ......
    surely a black leather tri suit will go with your nice red bike ;)

and who said I had any designs to run the sub forum

• cazzacazza Posts: 8
    Is anyone doing Wimbleball again this year? This is my first message but I am starting to panic about not having started training early enough I would be interested to know how much everyone has done??
    Hi Cazza,

I'm planning to do it again, although I refuse to part with the cash until I get through the london marathon in one piece!

You're probably ahead of me as i've no swimming or cycling behind me due to the running!

I'd suggest go heavy on the cycling, it's a really tough course (although the run isn't flat either), but the fact you're concerned about it this early tells me you'll probably be fine :-)
    Oh well the fact that you are using the word "early" makes me feel quite good! I have heard that the course is brutal... ! Although I havent made it over to Wimbleball to check it out.. I live in London so there aren't too many hills but I think I better book some weekend trips to some hilly places. I have just started swim training but have been tying to keep the cycle and run going over the winter. It is putting them all together that is the problem!! ; )
    last year was my 1st 1/2 & I was woefully underprepared & injured at the start line too!

The best bit of advice (which I intend to follow this year) was, make the bike as easy as possible, overtrain on the bike which will leave your legs fresher at the end for the run, I'm not going to try & kid you, it's a real tough course, although I'm sure when you finish you'll be proud of the fact that it was called the toughest 1/2 IM course in the world by some of the pros last year :-)

I know what you mean about London, I live in possibly the bumpiest part (around Enfield / Southgate / Barnet) but nothing quite the same, just get yourself some good quality cycling & brick work & you're laughing! Either that or chuck the bike in the car for A weekend on Exmoor!
    Ok thanks I appreciate the advice at the moment I only do one long ride (70miles) a week - I suppose I will have to do a mid-week ride as well.. you are right that is the thing that is going to help the most I'm sure.. ok back to the grind! !