Home Chat General Chat
Options

What training have you done today?

Comments

• Options
    jojojojo Posts: 76
    It's 20 m Loon (my gym pool that is) but I suspect the one on Friday is 25 m at least (hopefully)

I will say this though am finding the strokes much easier ... I feel that if I didn't have to stop at the end of the length then I could probably go much further. Turning round puts me off my stroke a bit. But then I'd probably end up in the car park!!

Finally got hold of this months 220 - there's some good swimming programmes in there actually as well as some great looking tri suits!

Jo
  • Options
    madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    good days training today [:D]

a.m. swim

1 x 250m w/up (breast)

10 x 100m stroke technique (crawl)

1 x 250m w/down (breast)

p.m. brick (bike to run)

60 mins spinning

10km run (40 mins)

i might just pul this off yet !!!!!!!!!

madnurse (phil) [:D]
  • Options
    DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    Mad if you cn run anywhere near 40 for the 10k after the rest you will be doing really well. I nust say, and i ahve heard this before that although i have been doing very little running for several months my speed is very good ( for the 5km) I am sure that the bike and swim trainning give me the power for the run. So: your run is good just prioritise the swim technique, don't worry it will fall into place just practice, practice practice. and keep getting out on the bike and concentrate on hills. you will be there at the finish with that pint and a victorious smile on you face.13 weeeks 'til London, loads of time

David
  • Options
    loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    JoJo - I reckon you'll be okay....with a coach and the rest of the tri club egging you on I'll bet you'll hardly notice the distance.

Nurse..

...That is some day...I reckon your pint is safe..

DoTri

...cheers...Pain and terror??? wot nobody total me about that...I doubt very much i'll get bored to much of trying 10km

I am currently finding the bike really hard and fairly boring i probably need to do a lot more to get my legs used to it..

• Options

This morning..bike..

didn't make it to work.. had to drop my wife off at the train station (see was running late so set off late) and got a flat after about 3 miles so limped home rather than fix the bike and press on ...soft I know.

total distance only 6.5miles
  • Options
    HI Loon !!! a flat is part n parcel of the fun I guess (might have been useful for you to a fast repair n go on - good race prep etc). One the lads in the tri club had a blow out the other weekend - alwasy worth stopping to sort it - I found tenner in a ditch whislt we waited for him.

As for bike specific training - I have found spinnning classes an excellent way of improving my bike endurance. Also good for doing the odd bike to run transition (ie class to track or treadmill). Pity I cant do the same with the feckin swim ... dont get me started on the wet thing again GRRRR

el mad 1
  • Options
    yeah yeah I know ;(

spinning ... i'll look for the class at the gym...

the plus side of not biking to work is that I can cycle with the tri club tonite instead...wonder how my shabby fitness and MTB will hold up

• Options
    easy day !!!!!!!!!!!

a.m. weights - legs & shoulders (legs stiff from yesterday .. a twinge of shin splints so will have to be careful)

p.m. swim - 20 mins or so free swimming to ease the old bones out - no plan just chill

madnurse (phil)
  • Options
    DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    THis morning swimming, but still tired from Sunday. Need an early night tonight, Calf pain nearly gone especially after the swim.

david
  • Options
    This a.m.

Swim...

4*50 1min rest (warm up)

1*100 (should have been the 1st 100 of a 400 got a stitch so stopped and rest)

3*400m 2mins rest

2*50 30s rest (warm down)
  • Options
    jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Nice swim session loony.... that 3* 400m is a bugger...

Had coached session last night... we were supposed to be doing timed swim and rests - but had fins out and ended up practising butterfly (doh)[:)]... not best prep for sunday but it was a laugh.... finished with straight 400m swim..
  • Options
    cheer Jazdog - Thought it was gonna be a disaster after the stitch but after that it was just a case of getting my head around swimming that far in one go...

was it a tri coached session or a swim club?

At least by having a different session you can't get paranoid about a flaw you might not have in your swim technique before an even

• Options
    loon is that you experince episodes of phantom paranoia or have periodic delusional beleifs stemming from an absence of flaws in your technique. Is that they are absent, or only when you are looking for them ????

i can help through this
  • Options
    3speed3speed Posts: 16
    hav'nt swum since last thursday?!!

In the pool last night, 3,500 m (first time since thurs before). Been concentrating on the bike/run, so cycling for 1 hour to 1 hr 20 mins followed by 30 -40 mins running each day for past 7 days. Feel pretty good.....oh yeah and did some weight on me leg yeasterday (only do that once a week)

keep plodding

andrew
  • Options
    Welcome to the first meeting of T.A. (technique annoymous rather than the TA)

Hi my name is Ian and my technique is flawed (just ask the wife)

• Options
    in your case I perceive the "T" in TA may be better served as Triathloon .....
  • Options
    3speed3speed Posts: 16
    sorry should have typed weights on my legs ! do I need to put more detail on my sessions??????

Does anyone take their heart rate when training in the pool?
  • Options
    3speed..

No to heart rate my HRM does work in water (or at least will break if I use it)

and not if you don't want to regarding detail

• Options
    "triathloon" sounds like a clothing brand or summat
  • Options
    went to my first triathlon swimming club session tonight. Well as expected I was by far the weakest but by the end of it I had learnt some really good tips and the organiser who was lovely kept saying how chuffed she was and how I'd come on soo much. She made me swim 6 lengths to start off with then basically told me to forget all I'd been doing and to do it the way she showed me. It was really coming together. Really enjoyed it and definitely going back.

You really pick up some good tips.

Have done quite a lot this week - well running and swimming - maybe bike tomorrow or sunday. I think I too have got tendonitis ... a slight pain in the inside of my right shin. Had it for a while since last weekend but have still been running on it which probably doesn't help.
  • Options
    HI Jo - good to see you back at it & getting stuck in with the tri club to .. nice one.Am sure you clued up on 'shin splints' but do work around the injury and get it sorted I wouild hate to see you have gone thru all you have and miss out. I get occasional shin splints & it can be a real grind but be patient and you will be allright.

madnurse (phil)
  • Options
    Hi Phil

not really that clued up on shin splints ..... but I will say am in a bit of discomfort today .... def rest day .... so is that what you reckon it is a shin splint it kind of clicks when I circle my ankle and feels a bit bruised.

Jojo
  • Options
    yeah just looked shin splints up .... Am pretty sure that's what I've got.

Anyway prob need a rest day have been doing quite a lot lately. Do you reckon I'll be ok to cycle tomorrow or should I wait till its completely gone?
  • Options
    (yawn) morning Jo !! R.I.C.E.

that Rest Ice Compression Elevation .... shin splints a generalised term to describe a number of conditions of the lower leg. IN essence treat it as any minor muscular injury with the RICE. gentle stretching of the limb will help

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/1079-shin-splints.htm

is as good a source of advice as any (and save me hods of typing) - I have found it is possible to work around the injury (with a level of caution) I can still bike & swim (although I find fins to much at present) running as an impact activity is out for now although if careful with treatig shouldnt be for too long.

hope that some help ...

phil [:)]
  • Options
    having to lay off a bit with having shin splints (grr) however

a.m. recovery - 3 mile walk

p.m. swim - 2500m with tri club (knackered)

swimming seems to be coming together a bit more todays distance work gave me better insight into my capabilities. just need a new leg now.

madnurse (phil) [:)]
  • Options
    a.m. rest

p.m. weights - chest & biceps

giving me peg as much chill time as possible (ho hum)

madnurse [;)]
  • Options
    jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Hi Loon ...

We've not got a tri club in Inverness although thinking of asking around to see if we can get one started... I go to a free stroke improvement class at our local pool which is great... really helps and the mix of strokes gives your mind a rest from crawl..

not done any training as I had my first race on sunday... IT WAS FAB... LOVED EVERY MINUTE..

Only a mini tri ... 400 swim - 10k bike and 3 k run - time was 42.57. Not got my splits yet but I was only passed on the bike... probably need to work on that... roll on Edinburgh Sprint in two weeks.

jazdog
  • Options
    Nice one jazdog...can't wait for my first

Nurse and Jojo - how are the shins?

Bike this morning...

17.5km time trial (just over 11miles)

got another flat so the last 750m became a brick..(i see why they are called that now)

Still took a load of time of my previous best but this was probably aided and abetted by the road bike I aquired from ebay over the weekend...the difference between it and the MTB is incredible - best 72quid I ever spent...

• Options
    don't know about you Phil but my shins still aren't that great - pain seems to have lowered now down to the ankle but it is bearable but def not running till next week.

did boxercise class yesterday - had to walk instead or run and obviously couldn't skip - apart from that class was dead easy - he he

• Options
    HI Jo - that a good sign if the discomfort is now in the ankle .. i have used ibuprofen now and then. Not a smart move to use to meerly mask pain so you can train again though. Stick to non impact work for now and it will ease. LAst week when it happened (although it may not have been immediately noticeable) had you stepped up your training recently ? eg increased distance &/or speed especially when running. MAybe like I did pushing for a new time off a bike to run brick. Your trainers may also have played a factor. When did you last change them ? Perhaps getting a gait analysis done might indicate you have a level of pronating gait as you run. A good running shop should offer gait analysis.

Hopefully you are able to use some the stretches as indicated in the link I sent you ... they should really help just work within your limits and all will come good ..

otherwise nurse will buy you a winnie the pooh plaster to make it better ..bless

phil