Home Chat General Chat

What training have you done today?

Comments

• DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    Monday - Gym session, with 10km run on treadmill, then onto bike for 30 mins hard. then the fiance took me out for a 10m walk - (would rather have run or biked it) gosh walkings hard when you go that far.

Today - cycled to work. I know it's better cos i get to work earlier now.

David

Swim session tonight
  • jojojojo Posts: 76
    hi Phil - Really glad you think its a good sign its gone to my ankles now - it does seem to be going a bit. Don't really think it's anything else other than maybe overtraining a bit too much - especially doing the brick sessions - and I've been doing quite a few of them recently. It's hard on the legs (lower legs) especially I find. I tend to change trainers every 6 months or so and I always have an analysis - I tend to go for Asics so pretty sure its just the over training.

Plus on top of all this training - I am a freelance personal trainer so I am pretty much active all the time - although luckily hardly any running with clients but quite a lot of walking.

I think I need get a desk job.

• madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    HI Jo - Glad to hear your training is still coming on despite the shin splints & that you sound motivated about you tri. Your leg(s) will be easing out somewhat by now so is important you maintain a good level of stretches & light mobility as much as you feel you can manage. The training that you have done in respec tof running along with the continued stuff in bike & swim will ensure you shoudlnt loose any if much run related ability. key thing is to 'listen' to you leg (aint as daft as it sounds) if its a weird grating feeeling when you move the leg which feels stiff then you can stretch & mobilise it - if painful to do so then obviously dont. It will let you know what it can & cant do

One thing I can recommend are sorbothane insoles which will take out even more of the shock impact through your trainiers as you run (good bit of kit) & not expensive.

failing that its back to plasters & some 'nasty' medicine from nursey [:'(]

phil

but am sure you will still kick my ass come London
    Jo Lsiten to the Nurse, i had shin splints which deveolped after a hard run session, every traffic junction was against me and i kept slamming to a halt. I didn't get back to real running for ages because i just came back too fast.

Concentrate on swimming and cycling, maybe some elliptical trainer in the gym and rowing machine. Don't do anything to create that high impact level. When you feel you can run again go off piste. Runb off road, parks and woodland. it's much softer, run slowly and build it up gradually from a very low base.

Come back 1st time, come back slowly

David
  • jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    howdy doody folks

PM swim today.. 2300m - did some paddle work and some swim rests (swim 200m and rest within 4m20secs(good aerobic workout)

Bike tomorrow

jazdog
    Morning folks

Last night Swim session lots of sprint and swim recovery stuff

Tonight bike

Tommorow am swim

DAvid
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Last night was 1.5 mile at race speed.

This morning was 300 Breast

6x100 crawl at decent pace

300 Breast

Tonight will be short run followed by 6 150 metre hills sprints.

Ouch

Hi folks

Did a bit of mountainbiking today for a change from road work... My dog (jaz) was chasing me - made it a bit more spicy than normal[&:]

later

jazdog
    Hi

Nurse Phil - Finally succummed last night and went to the physio about my leg - which is still quite painful. Way way to painful to run and even walking is a bit uncomfortable - anyway it seems because of excessive pronation and mega tight calf muscles I've strained my anterior tibialis muscle. Mega Mega annoying coz dare I say it but am off to Greece on Sunday. Anyway can cycle and swim though haven't been - have been resting whole week apart from plenty of walking with my clients (which prob doesn't help my leg).

Going back tomorrow but fingers crossed I'll be able to run on Monday otherwise I will be dead gutted.

Jojo
    HI Jo - blimey small world .. did the physio thing myself last night too.... got a blast of ultrasound which after a few treatments should make a difference. Am sure you will get lots out of the training camp in Greece next week regardless of if you running or not. Be sure to bring me back a few tips.

Stick with how are going ie swim & bike plus non impact cardio. Weights for a week wouldnt do you any harm either. (just go with the pshyios advice - they have actually asessed your shin & will have better idea of the state of play having actually assessed it)

Quite funny in a way .. maybe we should do the London Olympic together .... 3 legged [:D]

but on the plus side you will have a swim tonned bod & a tan to go with it

phil [:)]
    Hi Phil

how funny! What's your problem then? Is it still those shin splints? Have you been laying off the running as well? I too also had the ultra sound thing and this massage which bought tears to my eyes. I swear it was excrutiating. She's strapped it up but I've got a busy day with clients wanting to go out and about so it's really tricky for me to rest it but to be a bit like a PE teacher today making everyone else run while I stand there looking at my nails!
    JO - yeh it is shin splints (I got them for a while when I was in the forces) just in the one leg ho which is marginally better. HAve spent the week avoiding running and even took 3 days out completely to aid with recovery. Finally I decided either I get it sorted or I amputate so I am now seeing a physio for massage / tens / ultrasound which can nly help. Down side is my first race is in under 4 weeks & like you I seriously want to be back out running. Hopeful it will be sorted having spent so long training not tomention the cost of all the kit I had to get. GRRRRRRRRRRRR

One thing I might suggest to you is get lots of sleep...have a power nap during the day if you can & continue the stretches.. will aid with the recovery massively

Phil[;)]
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    Morning all...

Mad and Jo - glad to here you are on the road to recovery....If you can both keep up the other training (as mad says) then there will no problem I don't think when you can finally run again and I am sure London will be worth the pain.

Jo think of the PE teacher like a ferrari doing 50 on the motorway...everbody looks at it and wonder why the driver isnt going faster? the answer is because he/she can and doesn't need to prove to a ford fiesta driver..(random warble sorry)

This A.M. Swim

Warm up

4*50 - 1 min rest

1*100

Main set (2mins rest betweens sets)

1*200

1*200 with paddles

1*200 1st 100 with fins (my they are odd to get used to)

2*250

cool down

2*50m 30s rest

tried doing catch up work I only got 10m has exposes some major problems with my stroke...I will work on this as it was the most embarrasing 10m ever- though I doubt anybody really noticed my flapping about

Mornin' all

Mad & Jo REST those shins don't be tempted. That's the good thing about Tri you can concenttrate on another discipline and still train hard and usefully. You'll be there, if you listen very carefully![;)]

Last night bike 90 mins with large hills including topping 70Kph on way down. didin't clock distance but averaging about 21mph on flat. Must practice going uphill better though, need to be faster.

This morning Swim session:

8 warm up

1x16 lengths

2x8

4x4

2x8

4 length cool down

that was hard this morning after yesterday's ride. you don't realise how much you use the same muscles. My core and quads were just burning and my HR was well up.

This evening: REST

David
    have 3 days complete rest (enable recovery from shin splints)

today;

Swim 1 x 50m breast (w/up)

4 x 50m crawl (30 sec between sets)

1 x 50m breast (30 sec rec)

2 x 100m crawl (30 sec rec between sets)

2 x 150m crawl (30 sec rec between sets)

2 x 100m crawl (30 sec rec between sets)

4 x 50m crawl (30 sec rec between sets)

1 x 50m breast (w/down)

madnurse [:D]
    nice return madnurse
    Last night...cycling with the tri club for the first time...

did about 26 miles in total before the light failed

really hard work but really good to be pushed by the poor sole who had to follow my slow ass about to make sure I was okay / didn't get lost...also got loads of hints and tips...

Clubs rule

HI Loon .. makes a difference with a club !!! good training when you can get it ...

(today) Bike - 60 mins hills ..... 1st 30 mins all seated with faster cadence than usual 2nd 30 mins standing slower cadence ..

a good session enjoyed although am having to takle it marginally easy seem to have massives of aches n pains in legs (presumably from compensatory actiuon from shin splints) but have four weeks to remedy that

el mad one
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    Probably should be in another forum but just got to say totally agree with you there Loon about the club rides as they tend to push me harder than I would go alone. Also running on the track with them has done me the world of good.
    Ive started to bike to work and back its 12 miles and undulating hoping to build up some mileage, it only takes about 35 mins so its a good start to the day. It means I can run at lunch time aswell or swim which equals more time with the family so less moaning about time spent training in the evenings.
    Did my first brick training session today I did 10.5 miles on the bike then ran 3 miles in a total time of 56 mins so I was quite pleased with that. My legs didn't even feel that bad after getting off the bike.
    Swim class on Thurs - 1800m in total -

Mostly drills and swim rests - (100m) with 10 sec rests - really good session

nothing yesterday due to road trip!
    bike / swim / bike ....... brick type session

bike 12km (independant) 60% max

swim 2350m (tri club session interval trg above & below sprint race pace) aiming towards hypoxia to improve lactacte recovery -- ouch !!!!!!!!!!! [:'(]

bike 12km (independant 80% max)

madnurse

• fatmattfatmatt Posts: 145
    did a short swim session as:

500,400,300,200,100 tried to keep to 1.25 for each hundred

and half hour weights, haven't run for two weeks since 20mile run, knees are still sore, i knew it was a mistake.
    Fri & Sat Rest

Sunday - Bike 62m, going well better than last month, then legs ran out of fuel at about 50m. Sugar break and all OK again. Must remember to take energy drink and gels or bars for long rides.

David
    yesterday...bike..gentle ride around the strafford course...

this a.m.

Swim..

warm up

4*250 (1 with paddles)

100m catch up

cool down.

Hi folks

Did nothing on Fri and Sat

Sunday AM Swim - straight into 1000m non stop (but all aerobic (65%)) as warm up - then 3 sets of 200 at fast pace as kick /pull/ full then cool down

Lunch time - agility dog comp with the hound - sprinting around an obstacle course -

PM - 1 hour on the bike finding the steepest hills I could - covered about 25km

jaz
    mornin mornin !!!!!!

a.m. swim

100m medley warm up

30 mins T.I drills

1 x 500m time trial

100m breast warm down

p.m. swim

1 x 100m breast w/up - 60 sec recovery

1 x 500m crawl - 120 se recovery

1 x 500m breast - 120 sec recovery

1 x 500m crawl - 120 sec recovery

1 x 50m breast w/down

[:D]
  • fatmattfatmatt Posts: 145
    sunday, gentle ride round stratford course with the loony, to and from the course, total 45miles,

p.m swim

4 x 100 w-up

6 x 100 drills

8 x 50 @60 s

4 x 200 @ 3.30

2 x 100 cool down

(that was a tough one)
    A gentle recovery run of 35 mins after the stress of my first tri yesterday