Home Chat General Chat

A belated introduction.........

I should have done this earlier, but I suppose late is better than not at all.

I have put together a website for first time Ironman hopefuls as a way of giving back to this amazing event that has done so much for me.

Its a non-profit site that is supported by ads only and is free at all times for anyone to visit.

My name is Ray and I'm Canadian and I'm a veteran of 14 Ironman triathlons.

Two Hawaii Ironman triathlons, 10 Ironman Canada and 2 Idaho triathlons.

My first ever Ironman was in Hawaii 1984. In those days Canadians could enter as foreign contestants and thats how I got in. I returned to Hawaii in 1986.

Since those days I qualified 3 more times for hawaii, but never did return.

My fastest Ironman was 10:46.(Ironman Canada) I'm not a pro athlete or a cerified coach. I consider myself an average Ironman and as a result can relate to most of you out there. As far as coaching, I learned what I know on the searing heat of the King K. highway in Hawaii, the endless climbs of ironman Canada and the fast downhill curves of Couer d'alene. I have always believed that experience is the best teacher.

The Ironman that means the most to me was my first one. Nothing will ever replace the feeling of that final stretch in Kona to the finish line. It always moves me when I think of the names that have travelled that same road.

I was never the same person after that day and I know just how important this race can be to many people. That is the reason for my site. To help as many others as possible experience the Ironman.

After much consideration, I called the site "Ironstruck". To me it best describes what happens to a person when they come to the realization that they just have to cross that finish line.

In the beginning I had no idea what would become of my small site. I must say that I am very surprised at the response.

In the first 10 days of March I had almost 900 visitors from 35 countries. Unbelievable, for lack of a better word. It just shows the scope of the Ironman and how people from all over the world have felt its pull, or indeed, have been "Ironstruck". I'm just wondering where that person in Iceland is riding his bike. And I hope his swimming is indoors.

The Ironman is an event that truly transcends borders, race, creed, and class. When the start gun sounds, everyone is equal and the goal is a common one.

I post in many forums. Asia, south africa, the U.S. to name a few. Almost 90 triathletes from South Africa have visited my site in the past few weeks and shortly (six days from this post)many of them will attempt their first Ironman in their home country. Good luck to them. I have had messages from many of them and am anxious to hear from them after the race.

Whenever I post on a forum, I leave the Ironstruck address, because the whole purpose is to get people to visit, because that's where the information is.

That address is:

http://triathlon-ironman-myfirstironman-ironstruck.com

I can also be contacted any time with comments or questions at:

http://triathlon-ironman-myfirstironman-ironstruck/contact-me.html

Comments

• Dave..

Is this guy a spammer.. why don't you have a go at him???
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    No spanner he's been posting useful tri related info on here for a good few years.