Home Chat General Chat

First Ironman and you didn't finish.

I TALKED TO A FEW NOVICE IRONMAN ATHLETES RECENTLY WHO DIDN'T HAVE THE BEST OF LUCK AND WERE UNABLE TO REACH THE IRONMAN FINISH LINE. ITS THE REASON I WROTE THIS PAGE FOR MY WEBSITE, AND THOUGHT I WOULD PUT IT ON THIS FORUM FOR VISITORS TO READ.

So you tried the Ironman and didn't reach that finish line.

First of all, I don't believe there is any such thing as failing in the Ironman.

You most likely went through a lot just to reach the start line and that in itself is quite an accomplishment. Not just anyone is willing to stand on that beach and wait for the starting gun.

It takes a special person to face the doubts and fears that come with the ironman challenge.

You probably worked yourself into the best shape of your life just to take your shot at one of the most difficult endurance races in the world. You no doubt earned a lot of respect from those around you who watched as you took up the challenge.

There's lots of reasons why an Ironman race might not work out as you hoped. Possibly you didn't eat and drink properly in that final week. Or maybe you simply overtrained and left your best race out on your favorite bike route back home. If you have even the smallest injury, the Ironman will magnify it, so its extremely important that you're a 100% going into the race.

Some people tend to become very depressed when the race doesn't turn out as they hoped. They go home wondering how they will explain this to everyone who asks them how the Ironman went.

You don't really owe explanations to anyone, but if you must answer, there is one best answer.

"The Ironman is a tough race. That's what makes it special. If it was that easy, where would the challenge be?"

Hopefully at that point, you tell that person you intend to try as many times as it takes to reach that finish line.

If anything, not reaching the finish line the first time, or several times you try the Ironman, should be incentive to return until you succeed.

Consider the races where you came up a bit short a learning experience that will help propel you to the finish line the next time.

I had an email a few weeks ago from an athlete who had failed five times to reach the finish line and attempted his sixth in the past week.

Well, I saw his name on the finishers list. Now to me, he is the true definition of an Ironman.

I can only image the huge amount of satisfaction he must feel today.

Ray

www.triathlon-ironman-myfirstironman-ironstruck.com