Home Chat General Chat
Options

Ironman Canada....Live report

Hello to everyone in 220 land.............

My name is Ray and I have a site called "Ironstruck" that I hope some of you have had a chance to visit.

As I type I'm sitting at an outdoor restaurant on Main Street in Penticton B.C. Canada.

It's 7:00 P.M. Thursday evening August 23rd and it is 3 days before the biggest Ironman field in history hits the water. The last number I heard was about 2700 entries as IMC gets set to celebrate it's 25th anniversary.

More and more athletes are pouring into town now as the big day gets closer. I expect that tomorrow(Friday)things will start to get pretty crazy.

Lodging is at a premium. Not too many vacancy signs left anywhere.

As I look at the sky, it's mostly blue with a few clouds. It was hot today, but rumor has it that it will cool down by Sunday.

The lake was calm this morning and flat as a mirror. The water's warm. There is a bit of a breeze, but nothing serious in the way of wind so far.

It could be one of those years when everything is perfect.

If you have never done this race, you should put it on your list. It has become one of the most loved in the Ironman family. The people are friendly, the course is challenging, but is in an amazing setting. The volunteers are most likely the most experienced and friendly as you will find anywhere.

Thousands will line main street where I'm now sitting as it's within the last few kms of the finish line. You can hear the finish line announcer from here.

There will be some very excited first time finishers who pass this point in just a few days.

I'm happy to say many of them have visited "Ironstruck" and emailed my over the course of the past year as they prepare for the race of a life-time.

I personally have competed here ten times, but this year I come as a spectator and to promote my book, "Ironstruck......The Ironman Triathlon Journey."

And no this is not a sales pitch. The book is doing well on it's own.

This is just an eye-witness account of what should be an amazing day in Penticton come Sunday.

If I can, I will update this account over the week-end and possibly even give a live report on Sunday as the race is taking place. All depends on the wireless hook-up working.

Anyway, that's all for now.

Train safe, and may the wind be always at your back....

Ray,

Ironstruck.....