Home Chat General Chat

TO USE GEL OR NOT TO USE GEL ??

I,m taking part in a sprint tri in june, I know its important to keep hydrated but will consuming a carbo gel help? when would I eat it ? and how much ? I know when drinking fluid with some form of carbo in it it should be less than5% of the total volume or it wont get assimulated through the digestive tract quick enough so it then sits in the stomach creating nausea.

I'm guessing maybe a mouthful just as you get on and off the bike ?? If anyone could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    hi there - have you tried a few along with carb drinks during training ? This is the best conditions for you to test out what works & WHAT DOESN'T for you.After all is your triathlon & your stomach. Am not suggesting you have both together but try different brands out and see what suits. Remember you will only really need to replace carbs & electrolytes after about 60 mins of strenuous activity before that water should be sufficient. But every one is different so next time you do a loner session which takes you over the hour use a carb drink or gel. The bars are probably best left for longer distances as you should have more enough reserves to complete a sprint without such.

madnurse [:D]