Home Chat General Chat

Times

So what do people consider decent times, or a good average time for the following.

300m swim, 21k bike, 4k run.

Can you guess that is my first sprint triathlon.

If you can help it will give me good times to go for.

Thanks

Jason

Comments

• DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    Jason

The only person to compare yourself against is yourself! don't race the first one, just use it to put down a benchmark and get used to the transition idea.

Having said that you can find the results for several triathlons fairly easily from organisers websites and guage wehre you might have come for that event. Trouble is, if the course has hills like that Asboune photo in this months 220 the backmarkers will suffer much more than the fast fit ones and times become irrelevant.

300m swim - if you can average 30secs per length (6 mins) then you are quite reasonable but your position will also depend on your age.

21km bike - 40-45 mins would be more than acceptable but 38 will get you storming.

4km run - there is so much variation but 16 mins would be good, 20-25mins would be fair to reasonable.

If these times have scared you witless don't worry, look to compete against yourself. In a pool staggered start people won't really know how slow (or fast) you really are until the results are published.

Can you already work at aerobic threshold for about 1 hour? If you can you're on your way to a good time for you.

DAvid
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Thanks for this.

The reason I asked was I am not yet part of a club, apart from rugby club. lol. So need to gauge what sort of times I should be looking at, and how hard I need to push myself to obtain these times.

When you say about the hour of fitness. That is easily achievable. It comes from my baseline of rugby fitness.

But that type of fitness is power over shortened periods. I am trainging for a mix of power and stamina, if such a thing exists.

Anyways, thanks for the help.

Jason
  • fatmattfatmatt Posts: 145
    jason,

i have to agree with david, unless you're aiming for a top 3 fiish then tri is all about yourself, or maybe the person one place in front, thats who i aim for, (they're usually second from the back)

as for the times mine are

300 swim 4 mins

21 k bike 35 mins

4k run about 45 mins!!!

it's all about beating your best time, and just enjoy what you do.

good luck

fat matt