Home Chat General Chat

Bike Query

Can you I have advice please?

I have just bought a new Orbea bike, and am unsure if it is the right frame size.

I tried a frame that was supposed to fit me, however I felt hunched up, so I went for a larger frame. However I feel the length is perfect for my legs, but I feel like I am lunging to far forward. What would you say is a good idea for bringing the bars maybe 2" back towards me.

Or do you think I stupidily listened to the sales bloke, and should demand a smaller frame.

What options are available?

Thanking yous.

Jason

Comments

• plingbootplingboot Posts: 19
    Hmm…

This isn't a defacto guide, but rather stuff i've picked up over the years.

Assuming the bike is a road bike - rather than a tri specific frame, then:

Things to try:

1. the seat post should be adjusted so that when you're sitting on the saddle (wearing your cycling shoes), with your hands on the brake hoods and the crank rotated so that it's parallel (in line) with the seat tube,

your heel should just touch the pedal - look for 3-5 inches of seatpost showing from the seat collar (non-compact frames).

This will give you the correct seat height.

2. clip in and rotate the padals so they're parallel to the ground. If you drop a line from the front of your forward knee, it should go through the ball of your foot and through the pedal axel. Adjust the saddle fore aft to get this fit correct.

3. again in the above position, (clipped in, hands on hoods) your elbow should be bent at around 90º

If you can't get close to this, then the frame is probably wrong, if you're close, ride around and see how it feels.

You should have a 'kind-of' equal pressure feeling on hands, butt and pedals. Knees shouldn't hit elbows when on the hoods.

If the fit is very close, then you could swap stems for slightly shorter/longer ones or seat post for a zero offset model.

But using radically short/long stems and/or radically fore/aft saddle positions isn't a solution as you'll compromise bike handling and be prone to position related injuries.

Hope that helps a bit, David
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Hey,

Thanks very much for this, and for taking the time out to help.

I will print off your suggestions and do as you said tonight.

Thanks again.

Jason