Home Chat General Chat

London Tri Meet Up?

BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
Hi Folks,

There's been much banter about meeting up somewhere after the event so I thought we should have a thread dedicated to it. Now that my family have decided that 0630 is an antisocial start time (I sympathise fully) I have a free day ahead of me! (Currently; familys are prone to changes of mind I've found). So I'm keen to meet if anyone else is?

Comments

• madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    am staying sat & sunday night with mrs mad so meeting up sounds good ....... a few big wet n cold pints sound well in order after my race. crack my target and i might have to have more than a few.

madnurse phil [:D]
  • CenzoCenzo Posts: 91
    Guys,

I'm not racing but my gf is of at 8.30 on the Sunday, so keep me posted & would be good toi catch up.
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    its a possibility certainly - me and ms loonycockney are staying sat and sunday night

mad where are you staying?

we are in the etap at london city airport sat - sun is as yet un booked

Loon - am staying at Custom House Hotel - 272 Victoria Dock Road, Custom House, London which is apparently really close to the event!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mad
    Nurse ... nice one... I'll get you up on my way past at 5:30am

As far as really close goes its straight opposite excel (I assume you knew this)

http://www.customhouse-hotel.co.uk/location.html

• BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    Does anyone know where we could all look at meeting up (and ideally stash our bikes without fear of having them filched?) I'm afraid I dont know the area at all.
    The bar of nurse's hotel would seem to be a good place as its about 10 yards from the excel centre..

Bounus..

You can put you bike in the back of my car if you want which will be in my hotel about 2miles away car park.. need to take the front wheel off...obviously this isn't a long term solution or solution for the masses

I'll take you up on that offer Loony! Cheers. Just hope I can operate a quick release after a full Olympic [:-] I'll take my bike padlock just in case there are other options available or someone else needs it.

Has anyone got any idea of what time we should all look to meet up? I know there is a fairly wide spread of start times (I'm either 630 or 700 not sure yet.)
    BounusB - No worries..

I think there is a pretty big spread looking at the ages I am off at 6:30 in male 25-29 G1 - I guess that really means any time between 6:30 and 7 if they are gonna send us off in waves of 50 or so (according to swim for tri fella at the swim session last saturday)
    gutted .... if i stay in my age group start wave (m35 -39) then am not off til 14:40 ... you lot will be done n drunk by then .... am seeing if the NSPCC can pull a few strings and get me into the mixed oly group which starts at midday ish .... but at least i get a lie in ...

phil
  • WellaWella Posts: 188
    BonusB wrote:

Does anyone know where we could all look at meeting up (and ideally stash our bikes without fear of having them filched?) I'm afraid I dont know the area at all.

I do know the area. Take at least 2 locks! Might even be worth you heading into town a little bit.

That said, I wish I was going. Roll on 2007.

Wella
  • Loon - not sure the Custom House hotel is a good call: no swimming pool. Your only option is to have a pre-breakfast swim in the docks, which can't be sensible....

I'm not off until 1540 - last block of the weekend, so I get the opportunity to be the very last person to finish the entire race! I'll probably fry, but somehow I can't help feeling glad that I'm not off at 0630.

p.s. was that 27c weather forecast from a genuine long term report? If so, then I really hope that good old British cold summer returns.

Tiring - fortunately I aint in the custom house (thats madnurse) but either way I don't have a pool :( - I am at london city airport so I could swim up the dock to excel not sure about the bike though ;)

forcast was at little hasty (it as 14day guess which was a week early) I think as the week before now says a return to british summer (16 and cloudy)

• RewRew Posts: 62
    It would be nice to meet some of you guys but I'm off just before you Tiring at 15.10.

So by the time were finished that lot will be half cut.

I'm off to L.A the next morning for a holiday. 11 hours on a plane after an oly!!!
    for those of you in the later start times ....... i managed to get moved into the mixed olympic group which starts at 11:40 much better than the time of 14:40 I originally had ... plus it means I get to have a few refreshments and do some carbo loading with the rest off here plus at a more resptable time ....

if you dont ask ... you dont get

madnurse
    Loony, I just got my official start time through, I'm at 0630 with the G1 group. Do you want to email me and swap phone numbers? Can look at meeting up straight after?

I'm still unsure what we should do about meeting up? Do we try and collect everyones numbers somehow and sort it on the day once we know somewhere decent to all meet up?
    I think its gonna get complicated as me and you will be home at 9:30ish and that is 2hrs before the likes of nurse head off into big green deep...

and from that point of view I am not sure how long I can keep my wife watching triathlon...I will open negotiations tonite and see what happens... I think she is keen to head into london for the afternoon but I have already told her I wanna watch the elite races and stuff...

have pm'd my email address...

you'll be leathered by 2pm .. but feel free to get one in around then for me .. I may have a bit of a thirst by then......let me know where you'll be
    I'll be leathered after a sniff of beer let alone ingesting it after a Olympic!

Just wondering if anyone has figurered out how they are going to get out of London yet? My plan is to come in on Sat, stay at a friends and then cycle to the event (praying its not far, yet to check; ignorance is bliss). But I'm clueless as to how to get out of London on the day using public transport.

Any advice would be much appreciated. ( I need to get down to Redhill; Reigate; Gatwick area)
    Not all that sure but I am thinking the tube/or a regular rail link (though these will require a ride) as the Docklands railway doesn't allow bikes..

I am not sure where the nearest is but http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/ will probably give you the best idea..