Home Chat General Chat

ACL

I tore my ACL in a skiing accident 4 weeks ago.....do you know of anyone who completed a tri without reconstructive surgery on a torn ACL ?

Comments

• madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    Hi Defrain - i tore my medial cruciate years back and although it didnt require invasive surgery it still took along time to recover whereby I was fully mobile enough to train let alone complete anything like a tri. my advice (clinically) would be to seek advice from a healthcare practioner (your doctor & if accessed a physio etc) who is familiar with your injury and its recovery - who is in a better postion to offer a objective and professional based prognosis on your ability to undertake anything like a tri. You probably require corrective or even replacement surgery which if advised would be probably best in the long the run. I wouldnt wish to advocate as to wether you can or even should participate in any activity (regardless of its level of impact ie shock on the joint). Long term it may actually benifit your tri training , too many (myself included) will have over trained aimed to pack iin many arduous sessions in the hope of better race times & performance. If you go down the surgery route you will have to engage in a rehab therapy program which will enable you to build a huge base level of all round fitness from which to build a more tuned and effective tri fitness. Swimming will be a huge part of your rehab (its non weight bearing for one) the bike also, as again weight bearing is limited and the directional forces through the knee are almost uni polar (ie straight line). So you rehab training can cover two disciplines of your tri already

hope you get it sorted - remember there is always another race & if need be another season - you however only have one pair of legs - be nice to them and they will get thru a tri ..

madnurse (phil)

(NB the above is not meant to serve as anything other than that based upon experience and should not be construde as a medical opinion)
  • fatmattfatmatt Posts: 145
    i'd have to agree with madnurse,

he sounds like he knows what he is talking about, whereas i and probably most others here have no medical knowledge, so i shouldn't take advice on something so important from anyone othjer than an expert who has examined you, someone may have done a tri after this injury, and they might tell you how easy it was... but did they have the same injury? an permanent damage? and are they honest about it? you just never know, don't risk it, do as the mad nurse say's, , good luck, fatmatt
  • THX FOR YOUR ADVICE......MUCH MUCH APPRECIATED :-)