Home Chat General Chat

Changing the rear cassette

Well after doing the tough guy chlenge in Wolvehampton which nearly killed me, I am thinking of changing the rear cassette . Ok I have 2 sets of wheels, one set is from halfords and are the Centauri xcr 4 road wheels (8 speed block 32/11) the others are pro R-25 PAVE R series (8 speed block 24/12), can someone tell me which wheels are better ad alo which cassette is going to be best for me, I have been looking on the evans site at a 9 speed block which is a shimano ultegra. (9 speed block 11/21)

I want a cassette which is more in the lower numbers for speed on the flat, can anyone help me please

Ian

Comments

• BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    Ian

Beware about your chain when changing cassettes, I've heard that you meant to keep the same cassette with the same chain.
  • MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    Ask Sheldon for information about whether you need to change the chain. He knows everything.

http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html#wear

Mike

• SiHSiH Posts: 5
    If you're thinking about changing your cassette from an 8 to a 9 speed, then you may have to change other parts of the drive train (rear mech, chain, chain rings?) as the 9 speed system is not compatible with the 7/8 speed system, as the chain and sprockets are narrower. Also, the freewheel on the hub may not have enough length for a nine speed cassette?

As for what ratios you go for, it depends on what kind of terrain you plan on riding. Personally, I like to keep my block as flat as possible (12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,21,23) so that I can control my cadence and have more ‘fine tuning’ available. 23 on the back and a 39 on the front, seems to be low enough for most situations.