Home Chat Race Chat

IM Switzerland 2008

Comments

• Tim DTim D Posts: 64
    I'm all booked up flight and hotel wise now. I went for the more expensive, but easier option of Nirvana travel. I am staying at the Ibis next to the race site. My dad and I will be flying out on Thursday before the race and flying home on the Tuesday after. Can't wait now!!
  • BenwatBenwat Posts: 11
    We are staying in town about 2-3 k away looking forward to it so much training going to plan. should be at long last moving to stithians next week so my cycle routes will lead me down your end.

Have been talked out of doing the marazion by my friends in leicester tri club in favour of doing weymouth just because i can meeet up with some old friends. happy training all

Give me a mail anytime you fancy a ride. Any sundays should be good for me. Shame about Marazion, its a good race and looks like it will be quite a big one this year from the interest on this forum. However, Weymouth is also a good race as I know a couple of people who have done it.
  • NickNick Posts: 66
    finally booked flights and hotel, like you TimD i've gone with nirvana, also flying out on the thursday also staying at the ibis, although i believe there are a couple of ibis floating around, so might see you at the airport- i'm going from heathrow. As a pre-lim race i'm hoping to do beuliue(?) half in the new forest. Started total immersion swimming drills to try and help improve my swimming. Train Hard everyone.
  • JohnaJohna Posts: 27
    Hi all,

I thought it was about time we got IMCH back to the top of the forum thread. How's everyone's training going? Just noticed I'm over half way through my 30 week training plan. Still have the occational CBA (cant be arsed) day, but otherwise going well.

Noticed a definate decrease in speed (hopefully replaced by endurance). Will start the open swim at the end of the month.

Hope everyone's training is going well.
    hi all. training going well in the run department- took my 1/2 marathon time down to 1hr36mins, YEAH!cracking on with total immersion drills so not much in terms of swim distances but making improvements with my stroke. Bike not going so well although have done some turbo sessions. using bleulea(?) as prep for IMCH. Train well everyone.
    Hi everyone. Thought I'd update you with how I'm going with training as I haven't been on the foum for a while. All appears to be going to plan at the mo. I have been getting regular long runs and cycles in depsite the awful weather (although I think that we have not had it as awful as those of you further north). Swimming is ok. I am not as fast as I would like but the endurance is there which is what I am most concerned with really. I am thinking that it will be best to just take the swim steady and conserve energy anyway. A few minutes saved on the swim because I have pushed it could mean a lot more lost on the cycle or run. Trying to build up to the Marazion Middle at the end of May. This will be my first tri for the year and a good test for Zurich.

Has everyone else got the email about the course changes? Looks like we have to run on a platform halfway through the swim. Should make things a little more interesting.

Anyway take it easy everyone. Train hard and smart.
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    Hi I'm doing IMCH! - Time is flying by but I think I am training ok and doing as much a s I can without overdoing it..

Luckily have been able to start cyling to work 1 or 2 times a week which has been a great boost as it 35k in in the morning and 45km back (more back once warmer!!) - the best thing about the way back is there is a hill that is virtually identical to heartbreak hill. At weekends am up to 4hr rides with comfort (I aim to add 1 hr a month to my comfort range) Comfort is difficult with this rubbish weather though!!!

AM going with a compact chainset as I am finding I'm in comfort for longer and my average speed is higher using this (although top speed definetly suffers!) - AVG 33km/h vs AVG 29km/h - I like the higher cadence also.

Running is OK too - did a 16mile race the other week and felt comfortable all the way and felt I could have continued to a full marathon. Cant run too much without getting injured so doing well, so far - losing 7kgs has really helped!!!!

Swimming - OK but its all about my local outdoor 50m pool and heron lake opening so I can properly gauge.

SO - Would anyone trust anything but a hard bike case for the plane?
    Hi Barny

Sounds like your training is going nicely.

As far as the bike box is concerned I am no expert as I have never taken a bike on a plane before, but I am definitely going with the hard box option. I would take no chances.

Which airport are you flying from? I am going from Heathrow. I am getting more than a little worried about this T5 c*ck-up> I hope they get themselves sorted out by the time we fly.
    Hey Tim

Yeah I'm flying form Heathrow T5 on the wednesday BA flight taking off at 12.. convinnient to where I live. I think outsize luggafe gets more poersonal treatment so I am thinking the bke will get through fine - it everything else we ned to worry about!! :o)

I think I'm gonna go with a hard box too - its just not worth the risk and imagine they hold value pretty well for resale anyway : - wiggle have one for £120 which is nothing compared to all the money I spend!

I swam 4k without stoping on sat in a 50m pool and was able to leap out the pool feeling strong - feels good to know I dont need to worry more about swim training (sort of!)..
    Hi everyone been a while since i last posted, training was going well until i hit a wall on the down hill part of the north cornwall tor, not to bad a bit sore with a few cuts. The 100 miler race was a good tester for whats to come. Did anyone else enter? Got a bit boring towards the end, what with so many hills in it, although finished strong and could have done a half at the end without to much trouble.

Cant wait for the event so excited.

As anyone hit a block in there training yet due to work or family commitments, missed 8 days on the trot, maybe its my body telling me to have a rest. (thats what I tell myself)
    Definetly starting to feel the effects of the volume of trinaing I am now doing! - am having 5 days off and going to get a sports massage.. My 100% priority os not to get injured.

Frist rase - oly distance this weekend - looking forward to it
    Hi all,

Felt I was the only one having to miss days through family commitments and signs of overtraining!

Does anyone know what the weather in Switzerland is usually like in July? I've heard rumours it can get into the 30's.

Was wondering if anyone has done an IM in really hot conditions and the best way to cope?
    Hi all,

Just over 4 weeks until the big day! How's everyone's training going?
    completed my first middle distance 2 weekends ago, swim was short but run was long so well happy with time. did an hour run on sunday and thought i was going to fry!! it was HOT. this is of great concern for me as i've heard that swizerland can get temps of around 30 degrees in july. looks like if nothing else i'll top the old tan up[;)]

train well and injury free.
    Feeling really good about the race have done around 4 solid very long brick seesions:

Full length swim

+ 4-6hr bike

+ 1-2.30hr runs

have 2 more big sessions planned for weekend and then next wednesday and then its taper time... If I get to the run feeling even nearly as good as I have in the sessions it will be amazing!! ... but my god its scary - put so much into this dream and there are so many variables we can't control!

Just think of crossing the line!!!! ;o)
    Barny - you summed it up. Training going well...but there's that fear of the unknown! I dont start my taper until two weeks before (except I cut out the brick sessions).

Nick & Barny; what finish times are you hoping for? I'd be happy with 14 Hours!
    I got to go with the 12 hour target.... Secretly thinking It would be good to get 11hrs.. but thats a secret, ... ;~)

All depend on how fast the bike course is. And if the swim is complete madness, utter madness, or a pirhana feeding frenzy...

Man it's so close now - who noticed on their outlook calender that this week is the first week you can see today and the race day on the same page!!!
    looking at similar time to yourself johna will be happy just to finish but hoping around the 14hr mark. can only dream of your time Barny spare athought for us as we'll be 2hrs behind you[:D]
    My Nirvana travel info pack came today. Starting to feel twitchy now. 3 weeks and counting...
    not long now folks, 18 days to go! everything is booked and have my travel pack as well. toying with getting new wheels (HED jet 60/90) but not sure if i'm giving myself enough time to get used to them. one last longish cycle at the weekend and a run at thats about it for me. mainly maintanence after that. stay healthy and enjoy.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    May the force be with you Nick!

Looks like you're having a good preparation.

May race day be great for you[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m6.gif[/image]

Received my Nirvana travel pack today. Now it's getting squeaky bum time!

Are any of you guys flying out from Gatwick on the 10th?
    i'm flying out on the 10th but from heathrow.
    hi benny

see you at the start line, race strong.
    Hi all, its been a while since my last post. Well done to tim at marzion good times. I also raced in the end and my times was a bit down the ranks but finished strong and felt good, then ended up doing weymouth 2 weeks later. Had a good course time and raced with 12 mates from Leicester actually craig from the club won.

Well Lads Not long now hope your all tapering. That beer going to taste mighty fine on that sunday night ,just hope their not all shut by the time I finish.

looking for under 12hr finish but then be happy for just a finish....

All the work that we have all put in over the last 6 to 8 months we are all now endurance monsters. No room for doubts just get out there and enjoy it.

Buzzing cant wait. I will be the one with the big smile on my face (but only at the start).

DISASTER!!!!!

I've picked up a hamstring niggle. going for ultimate tapper and do virtually nothing. will do some swimming and thats about it. looking for a sports massage to help stretch it out. I WILL NOT BE DEFEATED!!

ok machismo over. stay healthy folks and see you all at the start line.

one question though- do they have special needs bags??
    Dam bad luck nick - like you say just stop all training - its not going to make a difference in the grand scheme of things!

Yep they have special needs bags - was in the info e-mail they sent our recently.

Yep hope i can enjoy it! - I feel a bit under pressure after recieveing aorund 50 "you are mad" e-mails from work coleuages I just asked to sponsor me - Thought I might as well raise a bit of money seeing as everyone asks if I was doing it for charity...
    Sorry to hear that Nick, if its any consulation I have done the same, out on my mt bike, the bike set up a little diffrent and i got stiff cleets so twisting in and out strained my hammy had a sports massage and going back next tues before we fly, meanwhile streatching and massaging every day had an hour bike and 2 hour run and never felt it but the other day i was out for 3 hrs on the bike and felt it on the run.

It wont stop me, I just think of all the training that we have done all the cold mornings, the wet and windy days, sleet chilling and soaking yours bones, The strong head winds in lands end, Nope, no way it wont beat me Eye of the Tiger .

cheers chaps. bad luck your end Benwat, stay strong.

does anyone know the situation regarding wetsuits and water temp? its around 23deg water temp in zurich at the momment. whats the cut of temp, i think i'd rather swim in one than not- i need all the boyency i can get!