Home Chat General Chat

Body fat scales

I'm looking to invest in some body fat scales-anyone able recommend a good set, or point out ones to avoid?

Comments

• BmanBman Posts: 442
    Hi, weve got a Salter Mibody. Measures weight, fat %, muscle %, water %, BMI and basal metabolic rate based on preset parameters for up to 10 seperate people (height, age, M/F, amount of exercise etc). Its really good as it stores each measurement you make and you just use a supplied USB stick to transfer data to your PC, with software to track progress. Great and easy to use piece of kit.
  • Just checked on line and I'm not happy-they're not carbon and only cost £40!!!

Cheers dude
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Here we go, not carbon but a damn sight more expensive than the £4o scales so that is well in keeping with the triathlon ethos - http://www.harpenden-skinfold.com/

Had one or something similar used on me many many moons back, at school I think as I remember there was school boy talk about Dalek grippers; some years later there was a TV ad which referred to pinching more than an inch but can't remember what it was for.
  • Im looking at getting some too - but wanted to see if there were any that measured all of the above but were also wifi - and could link to my computer / phone sending data automatically - without the need to take out usb fob etc...

Anyone using such scales???
  • Hey Bman, many thanks for the advice. You were right, got the MiBody yesterday and it's opened up a whole new whole of geeky data analysis. Anyone know how to get rid of visceral fat, guessing liposuction ain't an option?!
  • Hi!
    In fact body fat scales use a technique called Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis... or BIA for short...I would just get a regular weight scale with none of the fancy BF %, BMI calculations, water weight etc.
    If you use a scale for BF% you will be +5% more BF than reality.
  • I'm more concerned with the tracking of progress so as long as it's consistently 5% over I'm happy. Also that would make my body fat 11% which I sincerely doubt!!!
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Glad to be of help Silverback. Im scared of getting back on them myself, its been a good few months since I did anything but cycle, so my first short run today wasnt so good..wobbly gut, tight ribcage, and weak quads. But at least the hamstrings have loosened up and the sun was out in London.
    Just saw this today and remembered this thread. Ticks almost all the boxes: expensive, gives far more data than you will ever need, downloads by WIFI for even further analysis and you can even muse over it at the office on your iphone, Google health, Twitter Facebook etc - but it's not carbon

http://www.firebox.com/product/2625/WiF ... es?via=ser
  • Yeah nice but check out the R2-D2 headphones on the same page. Now we're talking...
    I love all those shops and catalogues - all those things I never knew I NEEDED - sort of like triathlon really