Home Chat General Chat

Training while pregnant

Here a question for all the ladies (and the men who know about these things). How much can you train while you are pregnant? What experiences have people had?

Comments

• loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    Issue 193 had women's specific feature in ... one on the bits was about pregnancy (220 have back issues) or I send you it
  • jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Hi Maria,

From my limited bloke knowledge you should be ok with cycling and swimming but best to avoid running. Cycling'll probably only see you good for the first few months and then the baby and stuff'll get sqaushed - best ask the doc/nurse at your first scan/appointment!

There was a woman in my swim class that was still swimming a week before she was due... we were getting worried we'd have to deliver the bambino poolside! [:D] The good news is she said with all the swimming (5 times a week) she didn't have any of the aches the others in her ante-natal classes were having!!

Congrats and good luck with the training

jazdog
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    When my wife was pregnant I saw something about a woman who was an areobics instructor and she taught 2 classes a day until the day before she gave birth. I know its not the same for everyone but I would have thought light to moderate exercise would be recommended.
  • lozzalozza Posts: 1
    I ran (slowly) a couple of miles once or twice a week untill I was eight months pregnant. I swam too, but your bouyancy is disturbed having a big bump so it feels different and I found it harder than normal on my shoulders in particular. The bump got in the way on the bike a bit - I kept hitting it with my knees!l I just turboed indoors in case I fell off !

Just listen to your body and you will know how much you can do. I used a heart rate monitor which helped me take it easy. Enjoy !
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    HI MAria - you should be able to train right through 2nd trimester without issue - however (although you will have) check out your training program with your GP / midwife. If you have been training for a while before getting pregnant you shouldn't need to cut back too much esp through the earlier stages. You will also know what feels right for you which is also a good guide but again get that supportted from a healthcare practitioner who knows your history.

Use of a HRM would be a good tool for monitoring the immediate level of your heart whilst training - apart from that just remember to eat & drink in approportion to your needs ie training baby & you

hope that some help

madnurse (phil) [:D]

• LegacyUserLegacyUser Posts: 0
    From personal experience and what my doc told me I was OK with doing anything I was used to but not to take up anything new. Also just to listen to my bod and if I felt uncomfortable to stop.

I found that I jusst naturally slowed down. But must say recovered v.quick after the birth and did nto have any excess weight, had a flat stomach 2 weeks later!![:D] Just take it easy.