Home Chat General Chat

need help

Hi Michelle,

One of the best sources I found was from the 220 magazines. There is a good balance between articles relating to training, competitions, gear to buy, etc.etc. (I don't work for them lol). For the stupid like myself I like to look at the photos to see what kit people have on etc. to which there are really good photos. It is a complete bible.

I only started a subscription about 3 months ago, so joined there training schedule quite far in to the season. This is probably its only fault. In respect that I wished I started from the beginning.

There are loads of really good websites out there, but I find out all the forums this is the best also. Good bunch of people, with a good breadth of knowledge to tap into. Don't be phased by some of there training schedules. There is quite a lot of nutters lol.

Anyway hope you find the world of triathlon enjoyable as I have been discovering, and hold back on the need to buy expensive kit. As I found out it isn't always necessary.

Comments

• MichelleMichelle Posts: 2
    Hi I need some help with finding information on triathlon's. I am really interested in the sport but now nothing about it.

Any help would be apreciated
  • Hi Michelle,

Agree totally with Jason, 220 which you can buy in most newsagents is a great place to start. In addition why not take a trip to your local libary and try and get hold of a book called 'swim, bike, run' really sorry cannot rememebr who wrote it.

Again internet is great as there are now loads of sites dedicated to triathlon. Also find out from 220 where races are close to your home go along watch and ask questions. People will be more than happy to discuss things with you.

Good luck hope you enjoy this sport as much as myself and the rest of the nutters on this forum.

Justin (Happygilmore)

• WellaWella Posts: 188
    Hi Michelle.

Once I'd signed up for my first triathlon I bought a book called 'Triathlon 101'. Can't remember the author but you'll find it easy enough on Amazon.

Its written in an easy going style and provides enough information to cover the basics as well as training plans etc.

It's given me th emotivation I need and hope it works for you too.

Wella (Sam)
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    Hi Michelle,

British Triathlon Association is a good place to for both events and clubs who are a great source of motivation and advice.

My swim all came from the Total Immersion book (can be found of Amazon) but was struggling on the bike until joined the club.

220 mag (can we have commission) is also a good source of advice..

I bought "The Triathletes training bible" for training inspiration ...

• fatmattfatmatt Posts: 145
    michelle, i'm sure you'll soon become hooked on the sport, i don't know why but i seem to keep entering more races, after promising myself "never again", anyway i have 18 months worth of 220 magazines cluutering up my little house so if you want some i can some on to you, they'll give you loads of training advice, tips on kit etc, and also info on local clubs and races, try a local club and maybe one of the "try-a-tri" races,

good luck

fatmatt
  • RobRob Posts: 209
    Michelle, do us all a favour & take up fatmatt's offer of the magazines! He's been trying to get rid of these for months!

Anyway, here's a couple of links you might find useful:

http://www.triathletes-uk.org/

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/default.asp

Rob
  • RewRew Posts: 62
    welcome to our world michelle,

I would recommend 'the 12 week triathlete' by Tom Holland.

I've been doing triathlon for a while now but have just picked up this book and it is great for explaining the basics of the sport but also has some training plans for both the beginner and more advanced plans for the athlete looking to improve times.

I don't belong to a club and train alone so these plans have been good for me.

Total immersion is also a good read for improving your swim technique and time.

Best of Luck and keep us all informed of your progress.

Rew.
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    Also look at a website www.tritalk.co.uk itspretty similar to this but a bit busier.