Home Chat General Chat

Miles or km

What do people prefer to train in. As most of the events are in km I use km for all my training.

Does anyone have an a prefered method of how they and what they record their distances in?

Comments

• I don't really have a preference, I actually tend to use time more than anything.

I do have a pet hate though and that is 10k runs which are marked in miles...what is all that about?

• Kilometres for everything - have not used miles for a very long time.

• HI Guys I just use time takes the pressure off me from having to do mileage for the sake of it. I ve also found using just time that training has become more enjoyable

[:)]
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    Miles mainly but for courses that are races as well I use KM when talking about times and so forth...can get confusing

Though I have recently (as triaddict) have started using time as my goal but when log the work its always in miles

• I try to measure everything in kms, but as has been stated, generally time is the key parameter for training.
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    I prefer KM as I'm simple and I can work things out more easily :D
  • Thanks for the answers.

I do use time as well but I just found having Km as my target distance easier to work out the same as some of you have said.

Any other training tips are always useful

• I use Miles, so when races are in km's it seems a lot less distance!
  • I always used to use miles until I started triathlons. Then switched to KM. When I created my excel triathlon training log I built it in KM's but added a conversion chart at the back to ease me into the switch over.

Then when I started selling it. People in the good old USA wanted it in old money, so I had to build a second version in miles! so I guess it is what ever you are happy with.

I still understand my pace better in minutes per mile even if I measure distance in km.

• @ jameshillery

"excel triathlon training log"

Care to share?
  • Metric for triathlons. On any given ride / run you do more KMs than miles, and your speed is a bigger number. I know there it's a ridiculous mental trick but it works for me.

but I can only cook (and drink) in imperial. No wonder I spend so much time confused.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    I prefer time not distance,but I do get hacked off with the longer distance races such as Half and full Ironman that get converted into metric from Imperial.Honestly would you want a sweatshirt with swim 3.8 km,Bike 180 km and run 42 km, or one marked swim 2.4 miles,bike 112 miles and run 26.2 miles. Most mortals know the marathon is 26 miles but not 42km.Still it gives my overworked brain something to as a crawl around the run course trying to work out how far to go.
  • RobRob Posts: 209
    I'm old so I use miles & inches, stones & pounds. Somebody tells me they weigh 82kg.... means nothing to me!!!
  • Gave a ton away when I was creating it , Got some great input and feed back from the forum . now can be bought at a bargain price through www.triathlondiary.com.

Cheers

James
  • I tend to use km, but I usually keep the rough conversion into miles in mind.
  • MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    I tend to use km for everything as well. I don't really know why I just do, maybe because it makes it sound like I am doing more.

Mike