Home Chat General Chat

Extra bike or cross trainer

I have been doing Triathlons for some years now but have a injury which means I cannot do the run section this year, I will still start races but will settle for swim and bike splits and a DNF. Every cloud has a silver lining and the good thing to come from this is that my swim is now very good as I have dropped the run, reduced my bike and increased the swim.

[size=2]Anyway back to my question I am now in the position to increase my fitness training sessions and want to drop the weight sessions, now I am going to reduce these weight sessions from 3 a week to 1 so would I be better off having 2 extra sessions on the bike (which will make 4) or use these 2 spare sessions to go on the cross trainer/Nordic trainer at the gym.

Thanks

Steve Mac[/size]

Comments

• Hi Steve Mac

Sorry - I have no idea about what's the best thing to do in terms of your training, but I just wanted to say that I too have an injury which is stopping me from running but not the other 2 disciplines, but I hadn't considered dropping out for a DNF. Thanks for the idea - that's exactly what I'm going to do. I'm still hoping to be ready for the London Tri though.....Good luck.
  • TurtleTurtle Posts: 29
    Hi Steve,

Perhaps I'm not the best to comment, as I've just started the triathalon sport. I signed up for Ironman in December and here I am trying to figure out how to get ready for it.

As there's been a bit of ice and snow where I live, and no access to a bike trainer for the first two months, I've done quite a bit of my time on the crosstrainer. From my perspective, it might keep your general stamina level up and won't let your muscles turn to sludge, but it's really not the same as biking or running... as I notice when I do get out. Running is a lot harder.

My advice would be to concentrate on the bike. I'll probably just use the crosstrainer for long, slow workouts rather than going for power or speed... because the comparison to running is simply that different.

Hi Catwoman,

Pain on the top of your foot still got you? Me too. I've had it since January. It's not as bad now, but comes and goes. Sometimes, I don't feel it when running... but generally after... and this morning it was a bit swollen. Sometimes I feel it walking. I try to stretch it... along with my shins, which generally always hurt. Haven't gotten into regular hot foot baths - for which, I'd need to use the mop bucket. Unfortunately, I'm usually too busy to have time to ice it after running, but I'll try that when I can... but I really need to ice everything from the knees down!

Good Luck,

Turtle